Thread: USB Memory Drive Letters

USB Memory Drive Letters

Most of the USB memory sticks we use at home have drive letters assigned to them which is handy for shortcuts to open programs such as email. The letter stays regardless of which USB socket they are plugged into EXCEPT for a Kingston Data Traveler Elite 3.0. It's hardly new but 32GB in capacity. I can assign a letter but only for one socket, in any others it comes up as "K" which is the first free one. Changing the letter in another socket causes it to revert to "K" in the others.

I've looked at System>Hardware>DeviceManager>USB>MassStorage (including "hidden") and removed them all and started again. From here you can find the location in "regedit" but I've no idea how to proceed.

The nuisance seems to follow on any PC but as it's fast and robust I've ordered a DataTraveler G4 to replace it. This series seems to co-operate OK and I'll use the Elite for general purpose storage and transfer. The best way to avoid any more headaches I feel.

Hugh, I found this website that may have something you are looking for:

USB Drive Letter Manager
    USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assignment

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_help_e.html

Conditions

The software is not limited or crippled in any way. It's fully functional without a time limit. There is no "full version".

USBDLM is Freeware for private and educational use only. Otherwise a licence is required per computer after a 30 day test period.
    "Educational" means institutions where the students outnumber the employees.
    Furthermore it's free for public, free of charge libraries.

Thank you, I've loaded this, it's good and simple, the site has some other useful things too. Sadly it didn't fix the issue but I'll be using a different stick for email now. Looking at it using "Chip Genius" tells me the memory stick in question is a dual channel unlike the rest which are single channel. I recommend this if you have a problem, it gives the memory capacity and the controller chip.

http://www.fixusb.com/chipgenius-software-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    K is the new G.
    and A is for 'orse.

Hay.jpgHorse.jpg

And H is for hung likea......
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Hamster?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Hung like a Norse?