Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Trains - A New Experience for Me

Main lines here all electric, but the secondary line that runs through Sneek is diesel/electric, and in summer we have in July and August steam train service next to the diesel electric for the people loving it and tourists.

Been on all of them, each is an experience on it's own.
    We have a lively steam train community here owning a few steam locs and cars maintaining them and driving them in summer.
    Theu bought a few large old train workplaces when the state owned train company sold them off for a song, so they have the workplace and stalling places under the roof to work on them and store them.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Nice

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Looks like the one used at the ethanol plant to move the tank and grain cars around. Gawd, that's almost 9 years ago....... where does the time go??

I have an aerial picture of the facility and surrounding utilities but I think the image is too large for me to upload. Photo credit to Sam Beebe. Guy has a lot of regional pics worth looking at if you have some spare time. It's still around on the web, but for not too much longer here

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10400169
    Last edited by WZ7U; 12-04-2017 at 04:41 AM.

Like that post was...

What's the name of the firm which owns the ethanol plant, and a location? Might make it easier to ID their motive power.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    https://www.aarailroad.com/

They run steam and diesel. My Mom took me on this when I was little, and I took my kids on it, too. Back in 2011 I worked right next door. They'd fire the steam loco up right outside the window where I was working. That was by far the best perk of that job.

Fred, Cascade Grain LLC, Clatskanie, Oregon - went bankrupt in '09. Some energy firm back east bought it and uses it now as an oil transloading facility. It has the best deep water dock on the whole Columbia River. Somewhere, buried in amongst the stuff is an old picture of the entire crew on and along side of the locomotive but I can't find it. For some reason GP9 sticks to mind. It's a GP something for sure.

Like that post was...

Try this link. That engine is a rarity, as most GP9s were built with a high short hood. The ones which have a low short hood are usually GP10 conversions.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopicture.aspx?id=98729
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Couldn't get link to open, but found a pic of similar locomotive on web. Like this only yellowgp9 locomotive.jpgI seem to remember a door up front in the nose which I don't see there.

Maybe GP20?
    Last edited by WZ7U; 12-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Like that post was...