Thread: Radio & Watches

Radio & Watches

I have a preference for electro-mechanical watches rather than purely digital. Using these in a situation where transformers and similar devices (such as welding equipment) are being switched on and off I would expect, and noticed, occasional, brief watch stoppage thereby losing time. (The watch is a Lorus Luminex with a large luminous dial.)

Is it possible that SSB operation on 80m in particular would have the same effect? I'm testing this but with no conclusive results. 80m does trip some earth/ground leakage current circuit breakers near the shack.

2535975_R_SET.jpg

Never had a problem with either my Bulova Accutron or my Casio Pro Trek watches.
    As welder/Pipefitter i worked daily with welding gear of all kinds and brands, and running 400 - 1000 atts mostly on 160.
    The Bulova is 1970's era the Casio is 1990's end of that era period.
    The Bulova has mechanical tuning forks with very small coils setting them in tune, but no ill effects from welding nor ham radio.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I have not had this issue. In the early 80's I bought a couple of very cheap LCD watches and gave one to a friend. His would blank out and stop running in direct sun light. Pissed him off because he wanted to time his run. Mine just kind of stopped working after 2 days.
    Later on I would go for the dual display, LCD and analog. Set the LCD to 24 display. First one I had of this type lost the finish on the little knob and caused it to start eating into my skin.

I've always preferred the analog dial. In recent years to the point of going for the faces with multiple dials on the main dial.

Sad story. My newest watch, the big silver Pulsar, fell off my wrist while riding motorcycle. I remember when I last saw it, that is, after I arrived at my 2nd destination. First destination was to look at new helmets. I walked out of there without a new helmet (went back there the following Monday) put my gloves on and had my watch on. Got 2 miles down the road in rush hour traffic and stopped at my vape place. Got all the way inside before I noticed that my watch wasn't round and round my wrist. I knew I didn't take it off but checked all my pockets and storage spaces anyway. I knew it had to have fallen off somehow but nothing indicated that anything was wrong or weak with the band at any time. Big chunky steel band that was an extra 35 $$$ when I got the watch.
    I went all the way back to the helmet place and it was 100 feet past it, in the road. I pulled off in a close parking lot and retrieved it from the road in 5 pm rush hour traffic. The crystal (glass) was broken but not all the way through. Half the band was gone. Not a single scratch on the back of the watch and it was still ticking.
    Probably going to get that one fixed. The claimed retail price on that watch is $175, I paid $70 on Amazon. 44mm diameter may be a bit costly but (we'll) see.
    Currently I'm sporting my old Timex, cockpit dash plate theme. I let the battery get to low on that one and it sporked the date display on the perpetual calendar dooflatchy. Now it shows the day of the month, between days, if you understand the nomenclature.

Have not worn a watch in years. Phone is my timepiece.

I still have a few, and they still work...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I have not had this issue. In the early 80's I bought a couple of very cheap LCD watches and gave one to a friend. His would blank out and stop running in direct sun light. Pissed him off because he wanted to time his run. Mine just kind of stopped working after 2 days.
    Later on I would go for the dual display, LCD and analog. Set the LCD to 24 display. First one I had of this type lost the finish on the little knob and caused it to start eating into my skin.

I've always preferred the analog dial. In recent years to the point of going for the faces with multiple dials on the main dial.

Sad story. My newest watch, the big silver Pulsar, fell off my wrist while riding motorcycle. I remember when I last saw it, that is, after I arrived at my 2nd destination. First destination was to look at new helmets. I walked out of there without a new helmet (went back there the following Monday) put my gloves on and had my watch on. Got 2 miles down the road in rush hour traffic and stopped at my vape place. Got all the way inside before I noticed that my watch wasn't round and round my wrist. I knew I didn't take it off but checked all my pockets and storage spaces anyway. I knew it had to have fallen off somehow but nothing indicated that anything was wrong or weak with the band at any time. Big chunky steel band that was an extra 35 $$$ when I got the watch.
    I went all the way back to the helmet place and it was 100 feet past it, in the road. I pulled off in a close parking lot and retrieved it from the road in 5 pm rush hour traffic. The crystal (glass) was broken but not all the way through. Half the band was gone. Not a single scratch on the back of the watch and it was still ticking.
    Probably going to get that one fixed. The claimed retail price on that watch is $175, I paid $70 on Amazon. 44mm diameter may be a bit costly but (we'll) see.
    Currently I'm sporting my old Timex, cockpit dash plate theme. I let the battery get to low on that one and it sporked the date display on the perpetual calendar dooflatchy. Now it shows the day of the month, between days, if you understand the nomenclature.
    You get used to these like old friends. I accidently smashed my previous Lorus with a club hammer, I have a Casio digital but keep catching or pressing knobs, generally setting the alarm for 5 in the morning is the worst aspect. The Lorus keeps time to within 2 seconds a month, usually better.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    I have a preference for electro-mechanical watches rather than purely digital. Using these in a situation where transformers and similar devices (such as welding equipment) are being switched on and off I would expect, and noticed, occasional, brief watch stoppage thereby losing time. (The watch is a Lorus Luminex with a large luminous dial.)

Is it possible that SSB operation on 80m in particular would have the same effect? I'm testing this but with no conclusive results. 80m does trip some earth/ground leakage current circuit breakers near the shack.

2535975_R_SET.jpg
    Interesting. I have a preference for purely mechanical watches (mostly the old fashioned ones you have to wind). A few years ago I amassed quite a collection. Mostly 50+ years old of the pocket watch variety (both stem winder and key winders with a fusee to regulate the movement) Also have a few wrist watches as well. I do have a couple inexpensive electromechanical watches as well but never noticed anything unusual in the presence of an electromagnetic field. I'll have to take more careful notice to see if I get a similar effect. Oh yep, I like analog dials, I never liked the appearance of 100% digital displays.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Have not worn a watch in years. Phone is my timepiece.
    ditto. i have a watch in california, but now that i'm getting ready to sell the house i need to declutter ... i usually wear no jewelry, but lately i've been wearing a ring that was given to me by an ex. he wasn't very good at the gift thing, but he got this right.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Never wore jewelry not even a wedding ring, not good if you are a pipefitter/welder....
    Did have my watch on but in stead of metal posts i made them of copper wire, a hard tug would release the watch and let my hand free.
    Rather lose a watch in a machine as my hand....
    Had cheap Casio watches for work, free time it was the Casio Pro Trek or Bulova accutron.
    Peensioned the Bulova, pulled the battery, had it serviced and put it away, seems they now are worth a few bucks.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

The proprietor of the small store who's been replacing all our watch batteries for over 30 years informs me that some brands of electro-mechanical watch will run for a very long time from their lithium batteries which would normally be life-expired. That probably answers my question. Simple.