Thread: The Joys of Solving Problems...

The Joys of Solving Problems...

Okay, so today I am trying to work out a proof of a specialized variation of a mathematical theorem. The theorem defines an identity involving vectors in multidimensional space and operations on multidimensional vectors. I spent a good part of the day attempting the proof but not succeeding. Finally, with only a few moments to spare as the dinner call was made I decided to give it one last shot and viola... my proof was a success. Almost immediately upon achieving a success at last I felt that euphoric rush of endorphin, almost like an opiate rush but much more satisfying and much more natural. I have felt similarly when solving both technical problems as well as with non-technical achievments. I have often wondered if such pleasant feelings are what motivates many of us to delve into various technologies, hobbies, music, the arts and sciences, etc. I guess I am more of less thinking out loud at this point but wondering if others out here feel similarly over our positive achievements.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Careful John, what you describe cannot be synthesized into something the gubmint can regulate, tax and punish for. You could be putting a target on your back.

Otherwise, enjoy the natural feeling of a job well done. Lucky phuck.

and here I struggle with common beginning algebra, sheesh...

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Banned
    I used to get that feeling every time I'd fix or engineer something. Every trip up a hill or into a swamp to get an ailing transmitter back on the air gave me that rush. Every time I've written a piece of software or designed a circuit to solve a problem, I've gotten that rush. Doesn't come too often these days, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Careful John, what you describe cannot be synthesized into something the gubmint can regulate, tax and punish for. You could be putting a target on your back.

Otherwise, enjoy the natural feeling of a job well done. Lucky phuck.

and here I struggle with common beginning algebra, sheesh...
    Thanks. You also raise a good point. Here in Merca anything that makes yoou feel good must be illegal. So they'll have to ban all things that can be enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by N2CHX View Post
    I used to get that feeling every time I'd fix or engineer something. Every trip up a hill or into a swamp to get an ailing transmitter back on the air gave me that rush. Every time I've written a piece of software or designed a circuit to solve a problem, I've gotten that rush. Doesn't come too often these days, unfortunately.
    Hmmm... I have a little bit of expoerience fixing broken broadcast transmitters. No, I was never a broadcast engineer but a ham radio acquaintance of mine also worked as a broadcast engineer for a major NYC AM station and several smaller AM stations (mostly located in the Jersey lowlands and marshes). He frequently invited me out to the transmitter site n and often invited me to come along with him to various jobs. Also showed me how to do various maintenance tasks such as doing base current readings, fire up and test the backup transmitter, make adjustments, take field strength readings, troubleshoot downed transmitters, etc. With regards to ham radio I was an avid AM'er so quite naturally getting to play around with the big broadcast stuff was quite a thrill. Not particularly a job that I would have wanted to do full time but nonetheless it was quite interesting.