Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New tires

I forgot about that one... TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Have one of those go bad, and the valve stem replacement gets expensive.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I forgot about that one... TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Have one of those go bad, and the valve stem replacement gets expensive.
    How much per sensor on the average car?

Try $180/wheel on my bikes.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    How much per sensor on the average car?

Try $180/wheel on my bikes.
    We had to replace one on the Boss's 2009 Mazda a couple of years ago. It was in the neighborhood of $80-85.

I remember the mechanic telling us that some people had gotten irritated with the things, removed them from their tires, found a way to set the things to always report the "right" pressure, and tossed them into their trunks. Sounds like a few people we know...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Island Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    We had to replace one on the Boss's 2009 Mazda a couple of years ago. It was in the neighborhood of $80-85.

I remember the mechanic telling us that some people had gotten irritated with the things, removed them from their tires, found a way to set the things to always report the "right" pressure, and tossed them into their trunks. Sounds like a few people we know...
    Yes. I have read about people taking pvc tubing, cap and seal the ends with a valve stem in 1 end, drop them all in there, pressurize it to 32psi, and throw it in the trunk.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

What tire(s) would you recommend for a 350 pound sport bike with a 200 pound rider? Currently the bike comes from the factory with bias ply tires but they tend to pull you into the groves in the road.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    What tire(s) would you recommend for a 350 pound sport bike with a 200 pound rider? Currently the bike comes from the factory with bias ply tires but they tend to pull you into the groves in the road.
    Dunlop or Yokohama both make really good motorcycle tires, Michelin does too but they are more expensive. Dunlop are soft compound and very grippy but wear quickly, they also track much better than the harder compound tires. It's a tradeoff between grip, handling , and expense to replace them more often.
    We never had weather like this before they started messing around with that internet stuff.

Yeah, that's pretty much the dilemma. I was wondering if you'd go with a nylon tire if it came factory with bias ply.

PSA: Don't forget to check the air in your spare tire!

Flat happened Late Monday Afternoon.

I received an indication that I had low tire pressure but, before I could remedy it, I had a complete tire failure. Called Road Service and had them come out to change it (couldn't get the P.O.S. factory supplied jack under the frame of the car). Road Service guy said, "You better check the pressure in your spare", it was down to 10 psi; what can you expect when, the spare tire has been in the trunk for seven years untouched?

Went to "Tire Discounters" on Tuesday Morning, they didn't have a 175/70R14 sized tire in stock so, they had to order it from the "Warehouse". I ask, "How long will that take?" Answer: "We can have it in by 12:00 tomorrow (Wednesday)." I could not get there until after 5:00 p.m. Wednesday; waited an hour and a half for them to get me out the door. Drove on Donut spare for 2 days!

Only $55.00 for a 40,000 mile tire for the Hyundai Accent and, another 25 bucks for for balancing, mounting disposal of old tire.

Back when I had the FZ-750, with a hard to find 14" front tire.

I had good luck with these:

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/phot...arracudaVC6000

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

MOT done yesterday, 24 Euro's done, no repairs, just the check and notifying the bureau for result, done till 15 dec 2018.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution