Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tires

New tires

After 4 years the tires under the Hyundai atoz neared end of llife, 2 mm remaining, not good for winter.
    Went for all season tires, Vredestein Quatrack 5 series which came out as one of the best 4 season tires.
    Went fom 155/80 R13 to 175/70 R13 bit wider tire which after driving them for a test drive improved handling and bumps in the road are much less prone to feeling them in the car.

These are certified as full snow and ice tires in the EU, so after a few winters with almost no snow lets see if we get any this year.
    My driving is now much less as when i worked 100K KM's a year was then the norm, now just 5000 to 7000 KM's a year.

Anyway, still have the snow chains ready if the proverbial sh*t hits the fan....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

i need to replace the tires on my vibe. (well i need to replace lot of stuff) but the cost just keeps me from it. and current tires are about like racing slicks going to be a fun winter. but i only work a mile away from home
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Tony,

I know this won't help Cor much, but keep an eye out for Pep Boys or similar super-rip-off size chain stores. They used to have a "4 tires for $99 sale" every now and then. You can usually find a cheap (and I do mean cheap) set of tires from them on sale at a low price. Just watch out for the "gotchas". Other stores/chains may charge a touch more but include the "gotchas"

(What are the "gotchas"? Balancing, mounting, valve stems, little crap like that. Inflates the bill if you don't know. To say nothing of a premium for "road hazard" coverage)

Cor, I don't know if there's anything like this in your neck of the woods, but it's something to consider. Maybe your dealer isn't charging you a proverbial arm & leg for tires, I know most dealers around here do.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Tony,

I know this won't help Cor much, but keep an eye out for Pep Boys or similar super-rip-off size chain stores. They used to have a "4 tires for $99 sale" every now and then. You can usually find a cheap (and I do mean cheap) set of tires from them on sale at a low price. Just watch out for the "gotchas". Other stores/chains may charge a touch more but include the "gotchas"

(What are the "gotchas"? Balancing, mounting, valve stems, little crap like that. Inflates the bill if you don't know. To say nothing of a premium for "road hazard" coverage)

Cor, I don't know if there's anything like this in your neck of the woods, but it's something to consider. Maybe your dealer isn't charging you a proverbial arm & leg for tires, I know most dealers around here do.
    met a guy at indy hamfest with a vibe couple years older then mine, he uses the douglas tires $60 each at walmart... they also add on 12 per tire for mounting ect ect, plus the other gotcha they prob have. so id guess 400 total.

my tires are 10 years old now so they do need replaced (plus other stuff needs fixed) hell tires are damn near as much as i paid for the whole damn car... just wish it was a RWD car instead of fwd. and i hope like hell we get no snow at all, that car ain't worth a damn in more then a inch or two of the stuff

I just spent north of $1k on my Legacy - tires, ball joint R&R, rear brake pads and rotors...alignment and so forth.

Rides like a new car now and this is the first major thing I've had to do to it since purchase.

Coopers got the nod. Made in Tony's neck o' the woods.

If you want expen$ive, try replacing sport bike tires. Two sets at once. Ouch.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Great upgrade Cor. The larger tire will feel like a million bucks, er, euros, and you will be glad in the long run. I always have upgraded size from 155/80R13 to 175/70R13 on the rides that had that in the past and never felt bad about it. Plus, it looks more cool Enjoy!

There's always 195/60R13......

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Paid 239 Euro for 4 new tires, new valve stems, balancing and taking my old tires in for recycling.
    Tires cost 49 Euro's each which is a normal price, since i'm a platinum member of the Dutch AA road service i got 40 Euro off the bill.
    These are A brand tires, one year warranty on the tires and work.
    Never bought cheap tires, there is a European quality marking that guarantees the tires, but there are less trustable outlets selling cheap Chinese tires , but they are crap.
    Mine were in several European tests by ADAC etc and came up quite well on the top for snow ice and wet behavior, and since i drove 100 KM on them today they are quiet and comfortable, taking up bumps and little holes in the road comfortable without problems.

Last year did the work, new timing belt, new brakes including discs, etc for 700 Euro's.
    Yep its 17 years old, has only 55K miles on the meter, no rust ( totally galvanized) and drives as new.
    This year i'll change the automatic gearbox oil, and standard M.O.T. test.
    Don't drive much anymore, when i worked 100 K KM's a year was the norm, when i drove articulated lorry's you know he score.... saw enough road in Europe...
    I don't mind the color of the car, or any luxury etc, it just gets kept in 110% good shape and roadworthy.
    I had large cars, now i'm only driving short distances so a small car will do.
    in 5 years owning it i spend 1500 Euro's on maintenance and having the engine tuned with 12 BHP more power.
    Including MOT tests and costs.
    Since i was 18 and got my drivers license i have been tinkering with cars, so i can do lots of things myself.
    And parts for Hyundai's are cheap as chips anyway ;)

These are the widest tires that can be fit under the dinky toy i have, on the Hyunday H1 van i had 225/60 R 18.....
    Almost the same as under the Renault Laguna i had before that.
    The Hyunday atos weighs only 800 Kilo's....half that of an USA car...with a dinky 1000 cc ( 1 liter) engine, 55 BHP standard, now 67 BHP.
    Road tax and insurance is 40 Euro's a month, and it sips fuel, but then 1 liter of fuel is 1.45 Euro now... all in all the car costs me 100 Euro's a month all included.
    If all fails, i still have the new snowchains....;)
    Last edited by PA5COR; 10-19-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I just spent north of $1k on my Legacy - tires, ball joint R&R, rear brake pads and rotors...alignment and so forth.

Rides like a new car now and this is the first major thing I've had to do to it since purchase.

Coopers got the nod. Made in Tony's neck o' the woods.

If you want expen$ive, try replacing sport bike tires. Two sets at once. Ouch.
    i paid 500 for my car total, i have to really debate on putting a ton more then that into it, or just getting another 500 dollar car

Quote Originally Posted by W2NAP View Post
    i paid 500 for my car total, i have to really debate on putting a ton more then that into it, or just getting another 500 dollar car
    I remember paying $500 for a 1972 AMC Ambassador circa 1978. That car was, in reality, a gas guzzling piece of sh-AVING CREAM, but it was all I could afford at the time.

I could just imagine what $500 gets you today.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I remember paying $500 for a 1972 AMC Ambassador circa 1978. That car was, in reality, a gas guzzling piece of sh-AVING CREAM, but it was all I could afford at the time.

I could just imagine what $500 gets you today.
    it got me a 2003 vibe with 127k miles. granted that was couple years ago. it almost got 134k now. but needs tires, brakes, susp. ac needs fixed, back side window need replaced, door handle needs replaced. lot of money