Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tires

In 2012 i paid 3000 Euro's for the Hyunddai atos, new price was 12.000 Euro's when it was sols ( high taxes here on cars), with 70.000 KM's on the meter checked the database the government keeps of MOT tests and it was valid.
    Got all things done then that needed it to be in perfect condition, for 3 K Euro.
    Never let me down, i get in, start and drive as i expect of a car.
    Weekly/monthly check the car, tires and condition, oil level and quality, automatic oil level and quality, condition wiring battery, etc.
    Once a year MOT new oil and filters whatever miles i have driven, so mostly oil never gets end of life.
    Service intervals need to be done at 15.000 KM's but i drive 1/2 of that a year...
    Synthetic oil, good quality, since the engine is tuned i need it to be in good shape,
    I drive defensive as old articulated truck driver, but i like to drive relative speedy, i have a car, else i would take a bicycle if i don't need speed :)

That doesn't man going around bends with squealing wheels though.
    The garage doing the MOT was owned by a ham friend, passed away a few years back and one of the mechanics took over the business, been there customer for the last 30 years or so, i can trust them blindly.
    Bought the car from them as well, still i'm there while the MOT is done, they know i know as much of cars as they do.
    I can do small jobs when the car is on the bridge, or help out with another car.
    Saves money, and they use me with welding jobs i can do for them.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

My wife and I got new vehicles last year, used of course.
    She got a 2005 CRV, and I got a 1999 Saturn SL2.

We both got Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 snow tires.
    They are amazing. No studs (legal in CO) needed.

Just put 'em back on last week in time for the first snow.
    7-8" at the house, melted in the next two days.
    But you never know here.

We have Discount Tire here, i've been a customer for years.
    Used Cooper and General snow tires in years gone by.
    OK, but the Blizzaks are much better. :)

I don't believe in "all season" tires as a winter tire, hell no.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 10-20-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

All season tires, depends on where you live. Here in the Southeast, All Season is the main seller unless you're a tuner.
    I wish I could still get Michelin XZX rubber from days gone by. Those things were most awesome for mountain driving.

Shit, here in the desert, all season tires need to survive the bitter lows of 45 degrees, to the blistering highs of 125+ degrees.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Yea I get it. Sticky rubber that wears out fast is a blast. Just totally FUN!

Come winter here, don't run snow tires in the foothills and the mountains?
    Remove them from their vehicles, and maim them. It's only a scratch.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

They put silicium in the rubber compound now, as in my Vredestein 4 season tires, that limits wear and gives extra grip.
    No hills to climb, just ramps for bridges.
    SNow chains for the very seldom 20 inches of snow we get once a 4 year time.

Officially snow chains are illegal to use, though i never had a remark of a police officer when they saw me use them here, legal in Germany though, but here there is no mandatory snow tire use or chains....

Most driving is done in the bad weather periods anyway in summer i use a bicycle for shorter trips in the city, just shopping and visits to the gun club 25 miles away are done by car.

Anyhow, with my luck, being prepared for winter, we will get no winters that need all weather tires...;) we had a row of 5 winters that hardly brought freezing temps or loads of snow....
    Read up the tests of the tires, they become quite good now, even 4 season tires for winter periods.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Pirelli used to be good but their quality seems to have gone down hill lately. I am a die hard Michelin guy, I have had really good service out them on all of my vehicles.
    We never had weather like this before they started messing around with that internet stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ka4dpo View Post
    ...I am a die hard Michelin guy, I have had really good service out them on all of my vehicles.
    That's the brand I'm running on both of the sport touring bikes I mentioned earlier in thread. They grip pretty well, though I did get the rear tire loose at (redacted)MPH a week or so ago when in a fast left-hand sweeper.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Last time i had Michelins it was under the Renault Laguna, long lasting summer tire.
    Quite expensive as well...
    Tires before these were the Continental eco track 5 worked well as summer tire, but wear was quick, side walls dried out in 4 years use, even while i maintain them well...
    Not again.

Island Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Tony,

I know this won't help Cor much, but keep an eye out for Pep Boys or similar super-rip-off size chain stores. They used to have a "4 tires for $99 sale" every now and then. You can usually find a cheap (and I do mean cheap) set of tires from them on sale at a low price. Just watch out for the "gotchas". Other stores/chains may charge a touch more but include the "gotchas"

(What are the "gotchas"? Balancing, mounting, valve stems, little crap like that. Inflates the bill if you don't know. To say nothing of a premium for "road hazard" coverage)

Cor, I don't know if there's anything like this in your neck of the woods, but it's something to consider. Maybe your dealer isn't charging you a proverbial arm & leg for tires, I know most dealers around here do.
    Don't forget the TPMS "gotcha"... if you have TPMS they want to replace all 4.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>