Thread: So I'm off to California to pack up the rest of the crap

So I'm off to California to pack up the rest of the crap

Is it worth it to try to ship a 35 amp astron? I'm shipping other household goods but this is probably the heaviest...

By itself? Probably not. Mixed in with a metric shit ton of other stuff; maybe.

You could always put in carry on

Good travels!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    Is it worth it to try to ship a 35 amp astron? I'm shipping other household goods but this is probably the heaviest...
    By itself? Nah. You'd pay almost as much for shipping as would to get a replacement at a hamfest.

eBay prices indicate that used working RS-35A's are going for $75 - 100, and up ( some people must think that we think they're made out of gold-plated latinum or something like that ), and shipping goes for $50 and up. RS-35M's are more. I've seen them sell at hamfests for $50 or less, no shipping, no sales tax, and as long as there's AC around somewhere, you have a chance to test it before you buy it.

That all said: If it's going in a large crate or container with other stuff, or as part of a truck load, it doesn't take up much room.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

nah, it'd be going in a fedex or ups box. i have decent discounts, but it'd still cost a fortune to ship ... and more to make sure that it survived shipping.

what's getting shipped: smaller radios, cds, books. some other valuables. that's about it.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    nah, it'd be going in a fedex or ups box. i have decent discounts, but it'd still cost a fortune to ship ... and more to make sure that it survived shipping.

what's getting shipped: smaller radios, cds, books. some other valuables. that's about it.
    Understood.

Well, it's not like Astron's are exactly rare. I say sell it, then replace it with another one after you return. That's what I would do in the same circumstances. Even if you sell it for less than the replacement costs, it would still be less than what you'd pay in shipping.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati