Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Ride to the Hospital in an Ambulance.

My First Ride to the Hospital in an Ambulance.

I had my first ride to the hospital in an ambulance today. At about 3 this afternoon I went outside with the weed trimmer to tend to some much needed weed trimming in front of the house. I started up the ol' weed trimmer and revved it up and started wacking the heck out of a lot of overgrown weeds and brush that were overtaking the walkway and the side of the house. At one point the trimmer conked out and I gave it a few yanks on the pull rope to restart. I noticed I felt sort of unusually winded. I continued wacking the weeds and before I knew it I was very much out of breath and couldn't seem to catch my breath. This is very abnormal for me and I knew at once something was very wrong. I was having great difficulty breathing and then I got hit with anxiety which made me try and hyperventilate on top of everything else. I would up on the floor struggling to breath, We called 911 and within a few minutes a fire truck pulled up and started giving me oxygen. Then the EMS got there and checked my blood pressure, it was slightly elevated. An EKG indicated that I wasn't having a heat attack. It appeared to be pulmonary obstruction, most likely due to a bad allergic reaction from something I was cutting. They checked my out a the hospital and determined my heart is okay and it was some kind of obstruction of my airways. At this point I was feeling back to normal and my breathing was no longer labored. They ran some tests, administered some medications and sent me home and told me to take it easy for a couple days. For me it was one scary afternoon.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Glad you made it OK. Rode in the back a few times, never as a patient though. Would like to keep it that way.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

I don't want to be your wallet next week

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Use Round up on weeds, seems in your situation a better solution ;)
    Get well soon...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    I don't want to be your wallet next week
    I know. I am hoping and praying that my health insurance will cover the ambulance ride and the emergency services.One of the firemen who responded remembered coming to my house back when my Dad was down on the floor and couldn't get up. He administered my oxygen and checked my BP. My BP was slightly elevated 130/90 and my pulse was a bit elevated but that was likely due to the severe anxiety attack I was experiencing along with the breathing difficulty. Normally my BP hovers around 120/70. Today I feel fine, however I am supposed to take it easy and give my lungs a rest for a couple of days. I am also thinking it might be a good idea to keep an oxygen resuscitator and an blood/oxygen sensor around the house in case of any future emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    Glad you made it OK. Rode in the back a few times, never as a patient though. Would like to keep it that way.
    I should say this was the very first time I ever rode in the back of an ambulance as an actual victim/patient. I have rode along with friends and family members who needed emergency treatment. But this was my first time as an actual patient.. I have to commend both the Yonkers fire department and the EMS workers. They were very professional, polite, and reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Use Round up on weeds, seems in your situation a better solution ;)
    Get well soon...
    I didn't use Roundup because in addition to the weeds I also had to trim the ivy which was overtaking the front foot path and I was afraid the Roundup (R) might also kill off the ivy. I had pretty much finished the job at the point I realized I was in trouble and that I was having a really hard time breathing,. My biggest fear at that moment was that I might have been having a heart attack. Fortunately my heart was running okay and it was restriction of the airways which is also pretty serious. Now I have to follow up with my regular doctor. Since I have experienced similar but much milder symptoms from breathing in house dust it is possible that I might be developing COPD.

seems we all get older and start getting cracks around the seams....
    Hope it's not COPD, just maybe allergic to house dust? might be the same outside doing the garden, dust, some strange odors, maybe even some chemicals from plants you were cutting.

Have to do the garden this week, Tuesday might be good, sunny weather warm, after that we expect rain again.

Take care, stay healthy...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    seems we all get older and start getting cracks around the seams....
    Hope it's not COPD, just maybe allergic to house dust? might be the same outside doing the garden, dust, some strange odors, maybe even some chemicals from plants you were cutting.

Have to do the garden this week, Tuesday might be good, sunny weather warm, after that we expect rain again.

Take care, stay healthy...
    Before I attempt to do any more house cleaning or cutting outside I am going to buy myself a good industrial quality dust mask. IMHO whatever it may cost is well worth it.

So now will you take an aspirin and a Benedryl™ before doing yard work in the future?