Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't know if this has been posted, but they want everyone to register.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    What exactly would be gained in terms of utility by operating on these bands?
    Well, these bands have chances of underwater reception, using proper xmitting antenna, as they are pretty durned close to VLF. Also, aerials are kinda out of the question, so earth ground antennas are viable.

So, new bands to experiment on?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Serious real estate needing bands..160 is peanuts compared to that.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Well, these bands have chances of underwater reception, using proper xmitting antenna, as they are pretty durned close to VLF. Also, aerials are kinda out of the question, so earth ground antennas are viable.

So, new bands to experiment on?
    VLF packet.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    VLF packet.
    Really, really slow packet :)

I mean nuke subs kinda use it: 3 chars per minute to say "The US is still alive guys!"
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

i plan to sign up (to help those who are interested) ... but i'd like to know more about the policies behind the database ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    i plan to sign up (to help those who are interested) ... but i'd like to know more about the policies behind the database ...
    It's actually quite simple.

The utilities are a bit anal about us lowly ham types possibly interfering with their PLC communications on or adjacent to these frequencies... even though the odds of there actually being any (with our antenna and power restrictions) being somewhere between Slim and Nun. (BTW, Slim just left the building, with the Nun quickly following. Hmmmm.)

So if we each register, and indicate our intent to start using these frequencies starting 30 days after the date of registration... they have that long to post an objection on the grounds that we (each of us, that is) is too close to one of their PLC sites and could be a problem.

If they don't respond in 30 days, then we are free & clear to operate to our heart's content.

So there is nothing to lose by registering, even if you don't intend to use the bands now. You may change your mind in the future -- and by registering now, presuming no objections, you'll be free & clear to operate whenever you want in the future (starting at +31 days)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

^^^ This. Thank you.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I checked out the news item over yonder about this issue and followed the simple directions Bonnie provides to locate said high tension lines in my area and wasn't too surprised at the results since I already knew where the lines are.

It was nice to be able to use the ruler feature on google earth to check actual distances and it turns out I am at worst case 1.7 km away from the nearest line. So, there's one more thing off the bucket list

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

i understand all that. but it's hard to feel that this database will only be used for this purpose.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    i understand all that. but it's hard to feel that this database will only be used for this purpose.
    Well, there is that too.... it was my first reaction as well. But then I said eff it...

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful