Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twit-ter

Twit-ter

About 2 weeks ago, during a Pirates game, something came up (no, not my dinner, they were actually winning this one at the time) that I wanted to pass on to the booth. (Nothing really important, just regarding a former player who Little Miss Field Day had recognized while she was working)

So I went ahead and set up a Twitter account for the purpose, since it is the only way these days to contact the announcers.

Which worked, which made the Boss happy. And that's the good news.

Seems that since then, my Yahoo email account has been flooded with posts... tweets?... whatever. Posts from the Pirates -- the team as a whole. Posts from individual players on the team. Posts from the Mayor of Pittsburgh. Posts from ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Faux asking me to watch various TV shows 'tonight' or over the next few days, with season premiers coming up.

Posts from people I've never heard of wanting me to view their page, buy something, or (ahem) look at their pictures in their birthday suits, to put it mildly. Follow-up posts thanking me for viewing said pictures and wanting to know if I'm interested in their videos.

Meta-posts from Twitter itself telling me I had twits, er, tweets. Lots of them. And followers. Lots of followers. All interested in my every whim twitted... tweeted... whatever.

All from ONE post. One single post.

I stopped counting at 200. Then I deleted the lot of them and unsubscribed that email address from the flood of twits... tweets... whatever.

And I thought Faceplant was bad.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Faceplant is of course just as bad.......one of the reasons I will never experience the supposed joy of Twitter.......I will pass on it!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

That taught ya!

Any medium used to compromise national security by the very person whose job it is to NOT do that is reason enough for me to never try it. Not even once. I mean, look what happened after one post. ONE! Worse than crack man
    Last edited by WZ7U; 09-12-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I use Twitter daily... Bigly hundreds of followers... And this hasn't happened to me.

I don't do social media, for that i have the transceiver.
    More worried at th 80 mile per hour storm here at the moment.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Island Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    About 2 weeks ago, during a Pirates game, something came up (no, not my dinner, they were actually winning this one at the time) that I wanted to pass on to the booth. (Nothing really important, just regarding a former player who Little Miss Field Day had recognized while she was working)

So I went ahead and set up a Twitter account for the purpose, since it is the only way these days to contact the announcers.

Which worked, which made the Boss happy. And that's the good news.

Seems that since then, my Yahoo email account has been flooded with posts... tweets?... whatever. Posts from the Pirates -- the team as a whole. Posts from individual players on the team. Posts from the Mayor of Pittsburgh. Posts from ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Faux asking me to watch various TV shows 'tonight' or over the next few days, with season premiers coming up.

Posts from people I've never heard of wanting me to view their page, buy something, or (ahem) look at their pictures in their birthday suits, to put it mildly. Follow-up posts thanking me for viewing said pictures and wanting to know if I'm interested in their videos.

Meta-posts from Twitter itself telling me I had twits, er, tweets. Lots of them. And followers. Lots of followers. All interested in my every whim twitted... tweeted... whatever.

All from ONE post. One single post.

I stopped counting at 200. Then I deleted the lot of them and unsubscribed that email address from the flood of twits... tweets... whatever.

And I thought Faceplant was bad.
    I would guess there is a setting for the one account you 'followed', that would stop most of it... I think the system defaults to 'posting re-tweets'.
    Disable that and you'd probably stop 50%, maybe more?

However, yes, the bigger issue is the pervasiveness of the platform just like Faceplant.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

Quote Originally Posted by N3XJN View Post
    I would guess there is a setting for the one account you 'followed', that would stop most of it... I think the system defaults to 'posting re-tweets'.
    < snip >
    That would make sense.

Now I'm sure someone who is well versed in twits, er, tweets would know this and how to configure things. But I saw none of that; I simply send one comment to the account in question. That was the only one I sent, and it will be a LONG time before I even consider sending another one.

The intrusiveness of the flood of twits, er, tweets was astonishing. Had I known I was about to open the floodgates, I wouldn't have bothered.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Break it down Ron, Twit - er, Twit Twit Twit.

Worse than facebutt if that's possible
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Break it down Ron, Twit - er, Twit Twit Twit.

Worse than facebutt if that's possible
    Yeah, every single time I hear the name of this site, the first thing that pops into my mind is...

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Signed up (against my better judgement) on 6/8/17. In 3 months time, I've sent 122 tweets, am following 27 people, and have 4 lonely souls following me (2 from here, btw).

I've gotten 91 email messages. So that averages out to 3 per day. Most of them are notifications about tweets from the people I'm following. Several are Twitter's suggestions for who to follow. I've gotten one burst of emails (15 in one day) for a comment I posted on Keith Olbermann's Twitter account. There are days I get nothing, sometimes for 2-3 days in a row.

Maybe it has something to do with the account you posted to. I don't do sports crap. In any case, I've not seen this deluge you apparently are being subjected to. This is clearly a case of YMMV.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.