Thread: (Nearly) perfect packet terminal!

Orca Whisperer

(Nearly) perfect packet terminal!

So, over the past week, I've been taking time to get acquainted with my new laptop: A Tandy Model 100!

I do have to say: It makes the perfect packet terminal. Bad boy will likely go into the car, so I can do mobile packet.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I always wanted one of those to use with a KPC-3.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I always wanted one of those to use with a KPC-3.
    You can generally pick one up for ~50-70 on ebay these days. Personally, I'd hunt for a model 102 or 200 (200 has more lines to work with).

Some "hinks" with it is the 40 col display. Most things are worked up for an 80 col display. There's also some missing keys, and you need to play with the term settings, especially if using it like myself: As a serial terminal on /dev/ttyUSB0 :)

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    You can generally pick one up for ~50-70 on ebay these days. Personally, I'd hunt for a model 102 or 200 (200 has more lines to work with).

Some "hinks" with it is the 40 col display. Most things are worked up for an 80 col display. There's also some missing keys, and you need to play with the term settings, especially if using it like myself: As a serial terminal on /dev/ttyUSB0 :)
    Excellent - which is what it'll be used for.

I have a KPC-3 and a KPC-9612 in the stash. Only thing missing is a mobile terminal and cables to connect the TNC to my HTs.

That, and the lack of nodes in the area. :(
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Excellent - which is what it'll be used for.

I have a KPC-3 and a KPC-9612 in the stash. Only thing missing is a mobile terminal and cables to connect the TNC to my HTs.

That, and the lack of nodes in the area. :(
    You might be surprised.

I discovered there are at least 2 packet winlink email gateways on 010, and a bunch of regular users. On 030, there's a 2M packet DX cluster. 050 is empty, and I think I'll plunk another VHF radio on that freq, and run my BBS there, so it can reach out to those stations as well.

I pound away in PuTTy almost every day at work...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I seem to recall RS offering a thermal printer for the 10x series portables...? And perhaps another manufacturer offering a similar portable with built-in printer - anyone recall either of these?

Though I haven't gotten into the manual, I believe the KPC-3 can be configured for a certain number of characters (COLS) per line. If so, that fixes the 40-character limitation.

Might have to pick one of these up soon and rebuild my Dayton Briefcase to accommodate it and the TNC.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The Tandy is a nice terminal, but - for a smaller package, consider some of the older 'palmtop' - like the Sharp Wizard
    100d1390513898t-off-topic-300_2035495.jpg

will provide a serial connection with the right cable. The Tandy keyboard is better for high speed typing...

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KL7KN View Post
    The Tandy is a nice terminal, but - for a smaller package, consider some of the older 'palmtop' - like the Sharp Wizard
    100d1390513898t-off-topic-300_2035495.jpg

will provide a serial connection with the right cable. The Tandy keyboard is better for high speed typing...
    That does look neat... I've got this thing lately for ROM-based computers. This might be another to try and add to my collection.

What I'm really gunning for is a Tandy Model 200, and a Data General Exec. Also, in the market for a green monochrome RS-232c terminal.

Yep. I really wanna go retro. The serial terminal is for work. Going to set it up in my primary workspace :)