Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Ride to the Hospital in an Ambulance.

Pulse oximeter for $8. https://geek.wish.com/c/584be96d1f827c4cb9bd21b8 I've got one, compared it to the more expensive version in the bone box and it's close enough for the jump kit in my truck.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

^^^ This. I keep one handy after my two PE scares.

Dang doctors wanted me off blood thinners.

I listened, at my peril.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I am happy that you apparently made it through that adventure shaken, but not stirred.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    So now will you take an aspirin and a Benedryl™ before doing yard work in the future?
    I might. That may have prevented the allergic attack which led to the. shortness of breath. Otherwise I'll ask the doctor to give me a prescription for some Heroin. I heard that stuff works wonders for colds, flu's, fevers, headaches, toothaches, belly aches, and the blues in the night.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    Pulse oximeter for $8. https://geek.wish.com/c/584be96d1f827c4cb9bd21b8 I've got one, compared it to the more expensive version in the bone box and it's close enough for the jump kit in my truck.
    Not a bad price. I might just order one. Pretty handy thing to have around,

Roundup is nasty stuff. Pesticide work (with appropriate precautions for the times) when I was a kid was considered my number two risk factor for the cancer I fought off.

Used a lot of that darn stuff in the test plots. Atrazine too, as well as chemicals only known by their test numbers. AC92553 became a commercial success as "Prowl".

Get a real mask too, with cartridge filters. Bonus, you can go to S&M parties, just add a latex bib.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Did that come with a whip and chains?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    So now will you take an aspirin and a Benedryl™ before doing yard work in the future?
    The final diagnosis from my doctor was anaphlaxis, basically an extremely severe and sudden life threatening allergic reaction. In my case it manifested itself as a severe asthmatic attack. The reaction was so severe that my normal rescue inhaler was useless. Yep, you are correct, Benadryl (or a non-drowsiness antihistamine during the day) is one line of defense against a similar allergic reaction. In addition the doctor prescribed for me an ephedrine autoinjector that I must keep around with me should I ever get another attack. If I cannot breathe I have to remove the safety cap and jab it into the muscles on the side of my leg and it automatically injects me with 0.3mg of ephedrine and then I go to the ER. Hopefully I will never have to use the autoinjector but it's better to have it than not.

Just let the weeds grow, you will be fine.
    Glad you're ok.

Master Navigator
    You never know what's going to happen. I've only travelled by ambulance twice, both in the same day. It was 10 years ago, when I fell and obliterated my right knee. The first ride was to the emergency room in the town we were in, where they put me in an immobilizer brace and sent me home. The second ride was to the local hospital when I couldn't manage to get up the front steps into my house. It turned out I'd torn all the tendons off my kneecap, so the leg wasn't going to get better on it's own.

Sept.1, I made another trip to the emergency room in Colorado, with my BP sitting at 240/100 and chest pains. It eventually turned out I had screwed up one of my BP meds - I guess the others weren't doing much! Two days in the hospital followed by many, many followup visits since. I'm lucky it didn't happen until my wife joined me, or I'd have been stuck someplace, most likely way out in the sticks where I'd been the previous week.

So yes, you never know. I've learned now to take all my pill bottles with me when I travel. If I have my own pill bottles, the hospital can just use mine instead of charging me a fortune for them. But if they aren't in the bottles, they can't use them.