Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Rollover In Front Of My House

Car Rollover In Front Of My House

I was walking home yesterday and was coming down my street and all of a sudden I see 2 police cars speed past me and stop down the block in front of my house. Looking down towards my house I see a third police car parked in the bottom of my driveway with the lights flashing. Then two more cop cars race past me and also park in the middle of the street by my house. I see a lot of uniformed cops standing in the street in front of my house. My first reaction is that my house is being raided. Then my second thought was maybe something happened to my Mom who was in the house alone. I started running towards my house and when I reached it there are cops standing everywhere. And then I see it. There is a car on the side of the street across from my house and its flipped upside down. The roof of the car is flattened and crushed in and the windows shattered. Firemen are pouring sand on spilled gasoline and oil A few feet away from the car there is a young woman sitting on a chair and paramedics are examining her. Apparently she was the driver and only occupant of the car. She is conscious and responsive and aside from a cut on her leg she seems to have no injuries. Apparently she was diving down my street and hit a parked car in front of my house and swerved and rolled over. My street is a local narrow side street and the local speed limit is about 25 mph. Which makes me wonder how fast she might have been going in order to roll the car over like that. I've seen cars roll over on the highways but never on a local 25 mph side street. Lucky the girl who was diving wasn't hurt badly and lucky nobody else was hurt. Often there are kids that play right in that spot and had they been there yesterday that car might have rolled over on them. Within an hour the excitement was over and a flatbed hoisted the car and took it away. Up till yesterday I never envisioned a car flipping over on a street like mine,
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Depending on the angle she hit the car it can be surprisingly low the needed speed to topple over.
    I saw a car doing max 10 miles per hour hit an car on the front clipping it, the low front lifted the car and toppled it over as if it was nothing.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Does soft suspension make it easier to overturn a car?

As a worker in the toll road industry, we have seen a drop in rollovers, but another one happened recently. Nobody died.
    Most rollovers now occur on city streets, many of the highs speed roads around here have switched to cable barriers.

They trap the vehicle(s) that are out of control, and absorb the energy while doing so. And the barrier is easy to repair.
    Old fashioned guard rails and concrete Jersey barriers don't work.

But idiots that drive too fast on crowded urban streets?
    Endager themselves and others.

This is why most jurisdictions here have all but elimanated highs speed pursuits.
    They get 'em on surveillence cameras a lot. And catch the fuckers later.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 08-26-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Wow, interesting. I never realized that a rollover could happen at low speeds but then, considering the laws of physics, why not ? Then again. I don't know how fast she may have been driving,

Last car I saw roll over was... one I was driving - at around 80mph.

Note to self - Self, don't drive a 78 Honda Civic 80 mph on the freeway because some dumb idjit will pull out in front of you causing you to veer off the highway in a slide and that rear bumper will hook that sapling and flip your dumb ass 6 times; again.

Glad I wore a seatbelt that time and every drive thereafter. Life lesson learned.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    ...many of the highs speed roads around here have switched to cable barriers.

They trap the vehicle(s) that are out of control, and absorb the energy while doing so. And the barrier is easy to repair.
    Old fashioned guard rails and concrete Jersey barriers don't work.
    Noticed a lot of our highways switching to these as well.

Any drawbacks associated with the design you're aware of, Dave?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Last car I saw roll over was... one I was driving - at around 80mph.

Note to self - Self, don't drive a 78 Honda Civic 80 mph on the freeway because some dumb idjit will pull out in front of you causing you to veer off the highway in a slide and that rear bumper will hook that sapling and flip your dumb ass 6 times; again.

Glad I wore a seatbelt that time and every drive thereafter. Life lesson learned.
    Were you injured in that rollover ? Must be pretty scary to be inside a car that is out of control and flipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Noticed a lot of our highways switching to these as well.

Any drawbacks associated with the design you're aware of, Dave?
    There is unproven rhetoric regarding motorcycle crashes, as in making things worse.
    But I dunno, you hit any barrier in a bike, it's bad, and maybe fatal.

We are using (one of) the newer high cable tension systems.
    Colorado DOT installing them iall over, which is good.
    Reminds me of energy absorbing racing barriers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_barrier

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Were you injured in that rollover ? Must be pretty scary to be inside a car that is out of control and flipping over.
    Unless it's designed to do that, and nobody gets hurt.
    I've seen these crazies "live". It's hilarious.