Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Eclipse 2017

Solar Eclipse 2017

If you are lucky enough to see it, enjoy!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

It's just overcast enough here that the prominences will be obscured.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I actually got to see it and I only used my sunglasses.

Oh shit. Wait......................I CAN'T SEE ANYMORE.............I'M BLIND!!!!!!!!
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Typical Ohiya overcast for terrestrial/celestial free shows! The last time Eddie saw an eclipse, he ran naked down the street banging pots, and pans together. I followed behind fully clothed, banging coconuts together(they paid me $10).

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Got my welder's shade out for a couple of quick glances. No more than 50% occlusion here at peak.

You could just make out the lower lunar limb.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Got my welder's shade out for a couple of quick glances. No more than 50% occlusion here at peak.

You could just make out the lower lunar limb.
    Did the same here Fred......we had about 86% occlusion here with light conditions making it look like an early summer evening ........my Kitchen got as dark as you would get on a dull overcast day! deepened shadows outside never seen it like that before but total partiality here was at 10:20 am PT and 15 minutes later everything was back to normal! It was a cool event,despite us just getting a partial eclipse!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Fred, you boys in Akron are always prepared for anything the sun throws at us! DNFTH!Attachment 15457

cul de n8tb

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    Fred, you boys in Akron are always prepared for anything the sun throws at us! DNFTH!Attachment 15457
    I worked for one of those guys many years ago.

It was a 94% dud. I've had farts that darkened the sky more.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    It was a 94% dud. I've had farts that darkened the sky more.
    Bode and all the others being equal, the amount of energy reaching Earth wasn't diminished by all that much. The animals, however, picked up on the changing light flux. I noticed a slight uptick in insect noises which are usually nocturnal.

Given the Moon's outward progression of ~1.2 inches per year from Earth, spool the clock back about 10 or so million years and imagine what a total solar eclipse must have been like from a terrestrial standpoint.