Thread: WX Satellite Help?

WX Satellite Help?

I would like to get into decoding weather satellite images live as the satellites make passes over my area...Can anyone refer me to a good source of beginners info on how to do this? Thanks,

Steve KA1OWC

What kind of computer do you use—Windows, Mac, Linux?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Sat Info

Quote Originally Posted by KA1OWC View Post
    I would like to get into decoding weather satellite images live as the satellites make passes over my area...Can anyone refer me to a good source of beginners info on how to do this? Thanks,

Steve KA1OWC
    I use Win 10 Home...Thanks...

Okay, next question: Is your radio already connected to you computer? For WEFAX, all you need is an audio connection between the two. Once that's done, then just download FLDIGI, which will decode just about every digital mode you can think of.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Okay, next question: Is your radio already connected to you computer? For WEFAX, all you need is an audio connection between the two. Once that's done, then just download FLDIGI, which will decode just about every digital mode you can think of.
    I am using an RSP-1 SDR unit that does a good job picking up most frequencies...35 foot random wire antenna out the window...

Quote Originally Posted by KA1OWC View Post
    I am using an RSP-1 SDR unit that does a good job picking up most frequencies...35 foot random wire antenna out the window...
    Oh, that complicates things quite a bit. It's harder to get the audio signal out of an SDR app and into FLDIGI. Last I heard, you need what's called a virtual audio cable—software that will get the audio from one app and feed it to another—but I don’t really know much about doing it myself and my info may be out of date now. There are some guys here who use SDRs, hopefully one of them will be able to help you.

I've been using VAC for quite a while with my Flex-3000.

This is the one I currently use. It's not free, but inexpensive.
    A bit cranky to configure.

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

Looking at switching to this software, it's more elegant, and easier interface.
    Technically free, but please send 'em money. A different pay model.
    http://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

If you fiddle around with various audio sources like I do for music and multiple radios,
    Virtual Audio Cables are cool. They are also, by their nature, quiet as far as PC noise.

I run Windows 10 64bit Pro. Because I run a Flex-3000.

FL-Digi is my main software for digital modes and logging.

MultiPSK is my secondary digital software. More modes.
    Crazy ugly interface. But kind of fun, for Utility DXing.

http://www.udxf.nl

I tend to tinker around and tear stuff apart, then screw it up.
    Then fix it. Because, I can. I'm a bit of an SDR enthusiast.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman