Thread: Windows 10 effed up laptop

Windows 10 effed up laptop

Last wednesday i got some updates for my W10 O.S. running on the I7 Lenovo laptop, and it asked to be restarted which i did.
    After the restart i got the announcement in a blue screen the boot media could not be recognised....a 250 GB SSHD...
    seemed the HD was converted to Linux and W 10 could not read the disk anymore.
    Luckily i had an relative recent backup, so after thee Disk was repaired with a fresh install of W10 64 bits, i put the backup on it, and only lost 4 weeks stuff, nothing special.

The clou from the story except that windows 10 update can blow your disk is to have a recent full backup ready.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Last wednesday i got some updates for my W10 O.S. running on the I7 Lenovo laptop, and it asked to be restarted which i did.
    After the restart i got the announcement in a blue screen the boot media could not be recognised....a 250 GB SSHD...
    Luckily i had an relative recent backup, so after thee Disk was repaired with a fresh install of W10 64 bits, i put the backup on it, and only lost 4 weeks stuff, nothing special.

The clou from the story except that windows 10 update can blow your disk is to have a recent full backup ready.
    Ran into the same issue. The problem is how it's installed (GPT vs MBR).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Disk was changed to GPT after we put it temporarely in another laptop, from MBR.
    Strange, but the only change was the W10 update...
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Luckily i had an relative recent backup, so after thee Disk was repaired with a fresh install of W10 64 bits, ~snip~ Disk was changed to GPT after we put it temporarely in another laptop, from MBR.
    Strange, but the only change was the W10 update...
    Excuse me for sounding like a member of the flat earth society but how is changed to GPT from MBR got anything to do with a disc changed to *nix ?
    Before you even guess ...
    OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.8 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3000.000 MHz) - Processes: 216 - Uptime: 19d 8h 30m - Users: 3 - Load Average: 0.31 - Memory Usage: 1268.48MB/32247.37MB (3.93%) - Disk Usage: 3103.52GB/4646.94GB (66.79%)

In short I must be stupid because other than "wubi" I've never heard of anything even remotely M$ related arbitrarily installing anything (ext3, ext4, zfs) "Linux".

Beats me and my quite savvy IT friend.
    Laptop runs fine, windows 10 installs update after which it told me to reboot, which i did and it came back as boot media not recognisable.
    Get the HD out of the lappie after trying to repair it with a W 10 Cd, no joy, and put it next into an working computer that told us the SSHD had an GPT structure......
    Put back NTFS partition on it, restored W10 then used the backup to restore it and we were done.
    Don't ask me or us how an update changed the NTFS partition to GPT.. i'm too stupid for that.

The current WinX update is doing some other strange things as well.

It recently updated the shack computer (Win X Home, not Pro, incidentally) and when it was done, the machine's copy of Avast would not restart. But Windows Defender opened a dialog window and informed me that I needed to update some settings...

I've since learned that WinX is doing this a lot... temporarily disabling other AV packages while Defender does whatever it does during this initial install... but it will eventually allow the other AV packages to run again, after a few reboots.

And no prior warning of any of this, of course.

It also "helpfully" reinstalls and reactivates Cortana, One Drive, and some other useless stuff that got turned off, disabled, or uninstalled.

Nice.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer
    Interestingly enough, GPT isn't nearly as simplistic, or easy to use, as MBR.

If the disk was converted to GPT, you need to install the appropriate bootloader into the UEFI memory.

So, if you took it out of your machine, as a MBR disk, installed in another machine, and converted it to GPT, and then put it back in the machine, while it may have booted into the OS still, due to quirky BIOS code, Win 10's updater/installer wont be able to see the disk: The UEFI bootcode was never told about the disk. Win 10 wants read the bootcode information about the disk, before updating.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

The SSHD never was out of the laptop, i ran W10 here on it, got an update and the computer told me to restart to make the updates working, so i just did close down and restart, from that starting up moment the disk could not be recognized anymore, and displayed the note it was a GPT partion.

Only when all try's failed to restore it we took the HD out and checked in another laptop to check what happened next to the working disk.
    So, the MBR was changed through the update on an W10 system that as working perfectly before the update.
    Luckily i had a recent backup here on the Spare HD in an USB drive.
    You understand that after updating everything to normal i made a new back up....