Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Guru Needed

Linux Guru Needed

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I am interested in streaming the audio from my Mac to the other machines on my home network, I started out here, https://www.streambox.org/elc/software/icecast.htm
    I followed all the directions (to best on my ability!!) but, I am having problems connecting to my source audio. I have configured the /etc/icecast/icecast2.xml file and the the /etc/icecast.cfg files.

Problem seems to be that, the program is not using the config files that I edited.

I booted the computer but, did not manually start the Icecast server but, there was an instance of the Icecast server already running.

I rebooted and saw a message "Starting Icecast server", nothing in my installation pointed towards "autostart" of Icecast.

With my cellphone, I recorded the boot log as it scrolled on the display, I used the pause button on the video player to slow down the boot sequence.

It can be viewed here: https://goo.gl/photos/CUrQRnXboieiqGTd8 at the 00:32 second mark, the server is started and also, "starting crash report submission daemon: Icecast"

So, why is this server auto-starting, where can I find the correct files for the proper input prams, and values; can this crash report be retrieved?

If it matters, this is a MBPro A-1278 (Mid 2009) Intel Dual core with 8 gigs of ram, dual bootable to El-Capitain.
    Last edited by koØm; 07-11-2017 at 05:48 PM.

You need to look at the startup script and see where it's pointing for the config file. If the default config is not being read, then a variable is being sent to the daemon at startup pointing somewhere else.

This would explain why your config is not active. Or possibly the config is not named correctly. Though much older versions of icecast would throw an error if the config file was missing.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

How many systems do you have on your home network ? If it's not all that many why not just stream audio across the local network using VLC ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    How many systems do you have on your home network ? If it's not all that many why not just stream audio across the local network using VLC ?
    Too many! the bottom line goal is to be able to stream to my home network and then be able to VPN listen from a distance on Android device.

VLC was one of the first things I tried, the idea of streaming audio is so far behind the "cutting edge", I'm looking at info dated from 2012 to present. Now, if I wanted to stream from a Raspberry Pi device, there is all the knowledge in the world on display.

"I've waved the thing all over the place,"

Either it's *ME* or, my Hot-Rod setup; but something just isn't falling into place.

As far as seeking general help, if it is not something built on a windows platform you are S.O.L unless you glean the net.

Apple hardware and IOS + dual-boot Ubuntu 14.04 + streaming the output to network =

I found this https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183222

I did everything except the second step in #6

I can start and stop it from the command line now.

This app has been stable since 2000, something is messed up in my icecast2.xml and icecast2.cfg files. I'll chase it down some more tomorrow

Orca Whisperer
    First word of advice:

Upgrade the distro. 14.04 LTS is nearing end of support.

That being said, when you start it manually, what command are you using? Darkice is pretty easy to get running, generally. I think we're just skipping a step somewhere.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    First word of advice:

Upgrade the distro. 14.04 LTS is nearing end of support.

That being said, when you start it manually, what command are you using? Darkice is pretty easy to get running, generally. I think we're just skipping a step somewhere.
    Thanks Corey, I'm 'stuck' with 14.04 LTS because it has GNU Radio complied in it.

**** General Notes ****

- If you choose to use Ubuntu's 'apt-get' utility, insure that you never update the OS kernel (for example, by executing 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade')... the USB drive will no longer boot if you do!

I started out here creating a Live Instance of Ubuntu on a flash drive but, it didn't have persistance so, I install Ubuntu on a spare MBP and put a swapfile in it.

http://op25.osmocom.org/trac/report/...ignalScopePage which allows me to chase the trunk track local public service bands.

OP25 Scope only work on 14.04, some people say they have it working on 16.xx but, takes more fixing than I am will to undertake (i know my abilities and lack thereof).

I am starting with /etc/init.d/icecast2 start and darkice -c /etc/darkice/darkice.xml

Last edited by koØm; 07-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Orca Whisperer
    So, the only problem is it's not starting at boot time, correct?

If so, "sudo update-rc.d icecast2 enable S 2 3 4 5" should do it.

The init file might need this:
    Code:
    start_server() {# Start the process using the wrapper
            start-stop-daemon --start --quiet -m --pidfile $PIDFILE \
                --background --chuid $USER:$GROUP --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
            errcode=$?
    	return $errcode }
    Changed to this:
    Code:
                --background --chuid $USER:$GROUP --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS -c /etc/darkice/darkice.xml
            errcode=$?
    	return $errcode }
    Last edited by KC2UGV; 07-16-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    So, the only problem is it's not starting at boot time, correct?

If so, "sudo update-rc.d icecast2 enable S 2 3 4 5" should do it.

The init file might need this:
    Code:
                --background --chuid $USER:$GROUP --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
            errcode=$?
        return $errcode }
    Changed to this:
    Code:
                --background --chuid $USER:$GROUP --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS -c /etc/darkice/darkice.xml
            errcode=$?
        return $errcode }
    I am able to stop the server but, my problems seems to be that I am not getting the output audio fed into the streamer, like there is something not right in the config.

I'll hit it hard first of the week

Orca Whisperer
    Did you figure it out? If so, what was the root cause?