Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 meters today...

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    It's called playing "radio".

When you are a "Superbowl" Operator and there are multiple stations keying down trying to be heard, it is wise sometimes to slide 'off the channel' to one side or another to be heard; the "mud ducks" are slobbering in their microphones on the channel while you and the person you are communicating with are are uninterrupted a few KHz off.

That's a real problem for "Channelized Hams", if your signal isn't on X.000 or, X.500 hertz, they cry about your radio is "Off Frequency"; No, my transmitter is on what frequency it is on and your receiver isn't. A symptom of your radio's receiver frequency being tied to your transmitter frequency.

Well I don't do a lot of 6 meters. So channelization is foreign to me except for being a kid on CB.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Well I don't do a lot of 6 meters. So channelization is foreign to me except for being a kid on CB.
    The "Delta Tune" was locked on the CB when you were a kid, do a little hocus-pocus and your radio could slide between channels. You were a "kid" back during the 70's CB Craze?

I've got compression trimmer capacitors in operational equipment older than you .

The "Delta Tune" was locked on the CB when you were a kid, do a little hocus-pocus and your radio could slide between channels. You were a "kid" back during the 70's CB Craze?

I've got compression trimmer capacitors in operational equipment older than you .
    Yup. I was a kid during that.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Yup. I was a kid during that.
    "Once upon a time, long-long ago, when people wore pajamas and lived life slow...."

Transmitters and receiver were separate and discrete items, "friends" knew the game; I set my transmitter 1 KHz above the frequency, you set your transmitter 1 KHz below the channel, you tune your receiver to where you know I am and, I do the same with my receiver, tuning to where you are transmitting.

Generally speaking, all modern radios (transceivers) are channelized, your SSB signals are going to be x.xxx kilo-cycles above or below the AM carrier frequency.

For instance, in the old daze, the Liberty Band was at the lower side band 3.950 MHz so, you had to tune your receiver down to where you found the lower side band of the transmitting station.

It's almost 2020 and, I still have friends stuck in the CB 1970's with the transistor amps, Big AC shoot-out trucks and 6 element beams in their yard. You will find them on 27.025 MHz praying for sporadic E propagation.

"Once upon a time, long-long ago, when people wore pajamas and lived life slow...."

Transmitters and receiver were separate and discrete items, "friends" knew the game; I set my transmitter 1 KHz above the frequency, you set your transmitter 1 KHz below the channel, you tune your receiver to where you know I am and, I do the same with my receiver, tuning to where you are transmitting.

Generally speaking, all modern radios (transceivers) are channelized, your SSB signals are going to be x.xxx kilo-cycles above or below the AM carrier frequency.

For instance, in the old daze, the Liberty Band was at the lower side band 3.950 MHz so, you had to tune your receiver down to where you found the lower side band of the transmitting station.

It's almost 2020 and, I still have friends stuck in the CB 1970's with the transistor amps, Big AC shoot-out trucks and 6 element beams in their yard. You will find them on 27.025 MHz praying for sporadic E propagation.

I moved on from it by 1980. But remained SWL until I was licensed.

At least back in the day I knew enough to not overdrive a cheap 5 watt transmitter.
    --

No Excuses.

And..."Keep the rope tight!"

Propagation has returned. But it doesn't appear that anyone's playing on 10M. Maybe our nightly net will encourage some activity.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."