Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Sad to say:

If you want someone to give you unquestionable, undeniable, undemanding love... get a dog.
    I already have two dogs... I asked for a hug. Dogs can't hug. WTF?
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Woof

Grrrr

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Shoulda hacked that mother and turned it into a Russian spambot. Fuck ethics.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Legally, yes.

Morally? Well, he secured their router for them.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I would have to say what he did was wrong but not malicious. He had no business changing their settings without permission, even if their settings sucked, However, I don't know if "hacked" is the correct word. In any event he accessed it (got in as root) and changed a few settings. I would say that what he did was wrong, you don't just go accessing and changing things without permission from the person(s) in charge. At the same time no real harm was caused, if anything he left things more secure than they were. However that still doesn't make his actions correct. What amazes me is that to this date there are many businesses that still run things in a completely insecure configuration, never bothering o tighten things up even a bit. :(
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I would have to say what he did was wrong but not malicious. He had no business changing their settings without permission, even if their settings sucked, However, I don't know if "hacked" is the correct word. In any event he accessed it (got in as root) and changed a few settings. I would say that what he did was wrong, you don't just go accessing and changing things without permission from the person(s) in charge. At the same time no real harm was caused, if anything he left things more secure than they were. However that still doesn't make his actions correct. What amazes me is that to this date there are many businesses that still run things in a completely insecure configuration, never bothering o tighten things up even a bit. :(
    OK, I'll concede that "hack" may have been a little strong... given the current interpretation. Back when the curmudgeons yelled at ME to get off THEIR lawn, being a hacker was a badge of honor, not an implication of someone up to mischief.

But you do agree that what he did was, technically, wrong. So at least I know I wasn't off base in that aspect.

He & I will just have to discuss ethics over pizza at lunchtime (ownership is buying pizza for everyone who didn't take the day off).
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

OK, I'll concede that "hack" may have been a little strong... given the current interpretation. Back when the curmudgeons yelled at ME to get off THEIR lawn, being a hacker was a badge of honor, not an implication of someone up to mischief.

But you do agree that what he did was, technically, wrong. So at least I know I wasn't off base in that aspect.

He & I will just have to discuss ethics over pizza at lunchtime (ownership is buying pizza for everyone who didn't take the day off).
    Well being a hacker had a different meaning. There wasn't much in the way of malicious unauthorized activity going on "back in the day". Sure there were phone phreaks. But nothing like Mitnick until 1995 or so.

I remember when any number of government systems were unpassworded and telnetable. It was surprising that no one tried to mess with those systems back then.

It's a different world now.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Well being a hacker had a different meaning. There wasn't much in the way <snip> back then.

It's a different world now.
    Science Fiction became reality ... once again.

Yes, technically wrong, because he went beyond helpfulness, and caused action without permission/authorization. It is now a legal liability issue. Right intentions, wrong methods. This is not a technical situation, it is a process/method problem, that could lead to legal implications. There are boundaries for a reason, and it is the matter to explain why, and for his own protection, and that of the company that employs him.