Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIN 10 is great except...

Just for grins & giggles I timed how long from cold it takes for this machine to get its dancing shoes on. 2:30 cold to go. And that is slowed up by some add-ons that spool up on start. Way faster than anything previous. Ever. Except when this machine was virgin and then probably by only 30 seconds or so.

Wow.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Win 10 is great except when you try to use it!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Was that 2 minutes and 30 seconds?

With the SSD on my newer box, I boot up in about 17 seconds, cold.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

That IS fast!

Like that post was...

Mostly 15 or 16 seconds, I7 procesor, 12 GB mem, 2GB N Videa Geforce video card, SSHD, W10 64 bits, Lenovo lappie.
    Fresh install was 12 seconds or so, but now some more stuff needs to be loaded...;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Those SSHD's are fast. This machine has the old method of spin the platter and play the hits.

If I remember right this one is running wild with an I-7 as well, 32 GB ram, 4GB Nvidea card, 1TB spinny thing and the evil Windows 10 OS into a 32" Samsung stupid TV. I do coursework in CAD and would like to carry on with that on this machine into the future. I should look into a SSHD though. Maybe once I start earning a paycheck again I can upgrade and implement.

You kids and your hyper drive devices. Quit speeding down my road!

Like that post was...

SSHD's aren't that expensive anymore, i only have a 250GB one, and have 170 GB left over.
    Nothing beats their speed, put indexing off, have enough memory, ditch the swap file, saves the SSHD lots of unneeded writes and reads, lengthening the lifespan.

Keep it cool as well like the rest of the computer, i'm using an notebook cooler plate with 2 large fans running 5 volt from the USB port, internal fan runs extremely slow, temps of CPU stay around 30 degrees C.

Did the same with the new satellite receiver, temp of the dual core processor went from 60 C back to 43 C, as does the rest run cooler intern.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

The only annyance I have now is after a Windows update, I have to reload my legacy Firewire driver.

I have tried cool tricks to stop it, but no go. It only takes a couple of minutes, including the reboot.

Oh well. :)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman