Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio (or ensemble) you can't do without?

To be honest, I really don't have a favorite rig. I really like my TS530 with every accessory they had for it, but I like to rotate the things around. I have the Low Power rigs from Yaesu and Icom that are fun when camping/hiking, and they each have their plus's and minus's. The one I use most these days is the FT-857 since it's in the truck. Actually, I haven't been able to get on the air in several months, but hope to rectumfy that in the next month or two.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I really like my TS530 with every accessory they had for it, but I like to rotate the things around.
    Same here. Eventually I'd like to find another TS-830S and accompanying accessories to go with the AT-230 that's been kicking around here for years. Maybe a '530SP too.

Want to start an argument on a vintage/boatanchor forum? Throw out the argument of which is better - the Yaesu FT-90x or the TS-830S.

Another couple of favorites: TS-660 + PS-7A + VOX-4 (try finding one!) and a TS-130V + PS-7A + DFC-230 + AT-130. Those - along with a TM-221/TM-321/TM-421 (and a TM-521 if I can locate a nice example) will eventually become my 'shack-in-the-box'.

This fall I'm going to tear down my middle operating position and set up the FT-901DM plus peripherals. I've going to try to get it to work in "VFO Transceive" mode with one of my R-820s, as they both use a 5.0-5.5MHz VFO. The '901 has been modified to control muting of the '820 - just need to build up connection cables for the two of them and verify the operation.

Incidentally, that R-820 was converted to receive everything BUT its original amateur segments - although I have a spare PLL/VCO Assembly which can be swapped in and return the operation to "stock". So it's not going to be a useful counterpart to the Yaesu except as a remote VFO. I do have other R-820s which cover all the amateur bands (including WARC) so I may pair one of them with the '901 on occasion.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

My Flex 3K or my TS-850SAT.

Well, I dunno. Probably my FT-847. Because it does HF OK, not great. And I'd miss VHF/UHF as well.

It is my real Swiss Army Knife radio.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    It is my real Swiss Army Knife radio.
    I guess that's why I keep going back to a couple of different ensembles I own - particularly the FT-90x and FT-980. With the accompanying monitor scope, RTTY/CW reader/keyer, transverter and antenna tuner I can access all HF bands, all VHF/UHF bands through 432 MHZ...play RTTY/ASCII...work repeaters on 10, 6 and 2...and with the '980, it's a general coverage RX as well.

Both rigs use 8.9875MHz filters in their IF, so I can keep a common set of filters on hand. It also means that IF-specific peripherals (i.e., the YO-901's panadapter) will work with both transceivers.

Kenwood's 820 lineup is almost as flexible...sadly, no AM or FM TX and no FM RX (R-820).

I wish Drake would have offered a monitor scope/panadapter for their 7-line setup.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I actually have two FT-857's, and while they do everything the FT-847 does... A little differently.

The FT-847 is noticeably better on VHF/UHF. And I do like to play there.

I have not used the FT-857's in about a year.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Miata Mobile? I'd like to see a big 80m whip on the green machine.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

It would give new meaning to being an RC car!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    Miata Mobile? I'd like to see a big 80m whip on the green machine.
    Oh, hellnoes!

BTW, the Acura got donated to KUVO, one of the best public radio jazz stations, ever.
    At almost 270k miles, it was still running, but it was time.

The daily driver is a 1999 "Blackberry Purple" Saturn SL2. It's a better commuter.
    No radio in it yet, but one of these days. I prefer listening to NPR and Jazz.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Giggity.

The Death Ride machine is gone? Damn.

My Camry now has 273,000. I'm going to drive it into the ground. The next major repair needed will drive the stake into the vampire. I wish I had the red Sebring back. I could use it here.

I don't have HF in the car either. I drive to CA a lot to tend to my parents and interestingly, I spend a lot of time driving with the radio off. The wide open spaces of northern Oregon are a good place to clear your head. I always drive through there around sunrise. It's beautiful.

I do the XM radio in traffic.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Yea, the Sebring was pretty cool. Really. Kind of a modern mob boss convertible.

The white Miata has a bad peeling paint issue, and is fugly. I'm driving it a little, figuring out what to do.
    It is a bit more fun than the green Miata, has MazdaSpeed tranny and suspension mods.

The green one is parked. For most of this year, just to preserve it. I put 20k miles on it in two years.

The Saturn is a little boring, but I actually get 37-38 mpg with it. Of course, I still have the Previa Van.