Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio (or ensemble) you can't do without?

Radio (or ensemble) you can't do without?

We haven't done one of these in a while.

Let's say you had to pare your station down to one group of equipment, all from a specific manufacturer. What do you keep, and why?

I'm on the fence between my Kenwood 820 lineup, an FT-90x ensemble or an FT-980/YO-901/FTV-901R. Maybe a Drake 7 line.

The Kenwoods and Drakes give me dual receive capability. The Yaesus give me all mode transceive through 432MHz, though I think I can pair a spare R-820 with them as a second receiver.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

All comes down to personal choice and interests in what bands to work.
    I went from the FT 847 and Collins filters to work H.F and 6 and 2/70 to the fT 2000 - D and just dabble on H.F. now.
    Still running the Heathkit SB - 1000 though.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Island Regular
    I'm actually looking to expand the equipment,slightly...

Current shack...

IC706MKIIG, considering a 7300 and then make the 706 the go-kit rig, but may also consider a Yaesu rig of some sort.
    However, desk is used by XYL also and space is currently limited so not sure yet.
    Also want to get a dedicated 2m rig for the shack, have a ft8900r in the truck and may get another one for the shack since I can't get the 8800 any longer.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

Not sure I could pair it down to a single manufacturer.... comfortably anyway.

If I could only keep one thing- my Apache Labs ANAN 100D.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

My spark gap transmitter and galena receiver.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    I'm good with what I've got for now. An Icom IC-756 Pro III, Yaesu sp-980 speaker, Amp Supply LK-500ZB HF amp, Nye Viking MB-V-A and the Icom 7496Pro for 6/2 meters.

None of the stuff really matches any of the other but they all work great.

Chasing the ham radio dragon just leads to debt.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    I'm good with what I've got for now. An Icom IC-756 Pro III, Yaesu sp-980 speaker, Amp Supply LK-500ZB HF amp, Nye Viking MB-V-A and the Icom 7496Pro for 6/2 meters.

None of the stuff really matches any of the other but they all work great.

I was chasing the noise floor. Then I was like, meh.

[ETA]: Most stuff sounds about the same out of the box on the air (TX). Yeah, there are differences in voice bandwidth in setting/menus and god forbid, Knobs and Buttons. Desk style mics and all that make a difference too but, out of the box, most rigs sound pretty close. I mean yeah, you know when an Icom is on the air vs a Kenwood but I was always, always chasing that low noise receiver because all I wanted to hear was what I wanted to hear and it wasn't static, hiss, noise from things other than intentional radio signals.
    Different brands had different ways of handling noise. Some were more elegant and simple, like Ten Tec. Yeah, I'm still a TT fanboi but only for the older stuff now. It was simple. Pepperidge Farm simple.
    The Woodpecker is back.

Rather as investing in the latest new fangled transceiver you better invest in your antenna farm ( if possible).
    More gain can be had from that as the latest gizmo in the never ending transceiver war.
    I just have 3 main transceivers, the FT 847 with Collins filters as spare, the FT 100 used now for 2/70 local repeaters and contacts, and the FT 2000 - D main transceiver. ( and a bunch 2/70 hand helds, Kenwood Icom and Chinese )
    There are better transceivers out there, but living on the edge of the town i have S3 noise on 160 on the vertical, S2 on 80 and from 40 and up S0.
    I've done all i can to reduce the noise here, put up 3000 feet of ground radials on a plot of 300 x 25 feet of land and sneaked some of that radials around the plot to enlarge the area.
    The FD-4 with coil works from 160 - 10, there is an additional old IMAX 2000 used for 10 - 17.
    I use an discone for 2/70 at 35 feet above ground and that suits me fine.
    But as said, it's personal, depending on your location, wishes which bands to use, money you want to invest, and other personal interests.
    I'm the old fashioned guy that still wants a large box with knobs in front of me, rather as a computer screen.
    Reason i also rebuild the Heathkit SB-1000 because i still like the tube stuff i started with....

40 years back when i started most was homebrew, no money just lots of electronic parts from old transceivers to build in something usefull.
    In our army dump market prices were low, so you got good value for money scrounging around and cannibalizing parts to use.
    Since i was using 2/70 mostly in SSB then that was the way to go, build a all mode 2 meter transceiver and from there go with transverter to 70/23.
    I only can say i had just as much fun with the rickety stuff i build then as the most dedicated factory transceiver of today.
    Times change...
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Island Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post

It's not a hobby if it doesn't generate debt.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

I must be doing something wrong then, i have no debt, just a savings account several thousand euro's on that fully paid up creditcard,
    Car is paid for everything i own is paid for, no outstanding bills.
    I rather live on the safe side, and want to have enough money to survive at least 6 months without income, which won't happen.
    Must be the Lutheran Reformed way i was raised.
    If i want something i save up for it, then haggle the largest discount i can get, paying cash.