Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Email Fixed

Believe it or not, MacOs uses sendmail as it's default mail handler. Kind of like weeding your lawn with a cruise missile but it is robust.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    I've used sendmail to handle email from JNOS BBS systems to/from the internet back 'in the day'. I don't recall that it was particularly user friendly, but if you could get a JNOS BBS going, sendmail was a piece of cake!

I used to be one of the sysops for an emergency communication system for 12 hospitals. Voice and data... the latter via JNOS running on Slackware Linux. I still have all of the configuration files somewhere, but I doubt that I'd remember half of the stuff I used to know so well!
    Well the beauty in it for this situation is that Vbull expects to see sendmail. So in a sense it gets plug and play- at least in making the connection between the two.

The tricky bits that confuzzle new admins are all the little bits that go into being able to move mail out onto the internet successfully. Sendmail can be a bit arcane in that that department (and that's not taking into account all the RFC breaking changes in the "generally acceptable practices" now used on mail systems). There's the whole m4 language and sendmail.cf file which needs to be handled "just so". Then there's the milter interface for processing mail outside of sendmail (spam/virus checking) and the whole procmail delivery system.

But the big issue... are attacks against mail servers...

So when I config them I tie the whole works into fail2ban, DNSBL, and spamassassin. If you attack, port scan, spam, or have a history of spamming- poof... you cannot even connect to the server.

It requires a good bit of log parsing.

No idea why I wrote that much. I'm in the zone.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Believe it or not, MacOs uses sendmail as it's default mail handler. Kind of like weeding your lawn with a cruise missile but it is robust.
    Yea... and that post is funny!!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    The other competitors in open source SMTP servers are qmail and postfix. Qmail is fast and a pain in the ass. Postfix is slow (relatively) and easy to work with.
    Qmail is still around? I haven't used it since the mid 90s.

Briefly (well more like 3-4 years) had a free dyndns account and ran my own email server. For an idiot (barely understood Linux back then), I don't remember it being that hard to set up. Then again, that was 20 years ago and things have probably changed.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Qmail is still around? I haven't used it since the mid 90s.

Briefly (well more like 3-4 years) had a free dyndns account and ran my own email server. For an idiot (barely understood Linux back then), I don't remember it being that hard to set up. Then again, that was 20 years ago and things have probably changed.
    Qmail is still the second most common daemon on the internet.

Yea things have changed. You've got no chance of running a mail server on dynamic dns. You'll be insta-blocked by every mail service as soon as they see no reverse dns, so spf record, a consumer allocated IP, listing on a DNSBL, or actually detect that the dns is provided dynamically.
    --

Who owns dyn now?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Oracle owns Dyn now.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

What is this email thing of which you speak? Is it a misspelling of something else?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Oracle owns Dyn now.
    And who's taking it through the integration/security assurance process?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."