Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry I have been scarce lately. La Rata's been busy! Did I miss anything?

Sorry I have been scarce lately. La Rata's been busy! Did I miss anything?

A bit of what's been happening the last several months, and why I have been scarce on here. Several months ago, we started a complete home renovation. My wife and I built this place over 20 years ago, doing most all the work ourselves except for the brickwork and flat-work. When it comes to concrete work, I can make it grey and hard, and that's it. Level and smooth, shhhhiiiittttt. Forget it. We finished the exterior reno work prior to the heat, and moved inside to do painting and finishing a complete demo and redo in the kitchen, which is now finished except for the floor. (BTW 120+ degrees F next week? Fuck me! Anyway, I digress. We finished taking up the tile a month or so ago. I'm 69, and pulling up 2000sf of floor tile with an 60 lb jack hammer, doing a couple hours at a whack almost killed me. Seriously. I ended up buying a new and lighter unit during the project but still had to go back to the big one when I had trouble with the thin-set removal. The tile itself (which was a bitch to put down when I was 20 years younger) comes up fairly easily with the demo hammer, but the thin-set is a whole nuther story. I am now working on fixing the concrete floors where they have buckled and cracked. Very common out here. It's a slow multi step process to do it right. Then I have to run a machine that looks like a big floor buffer, but uses diamond blades, over all the flat work to make certain the floor doesn't have any whoop-dee-doos. This last fw weeks, we have been trying to find some new floor tile that we like, and will be putting that down soon. (Oh my aching ass) Actually, I have had some pretty bad back issues stemming from a couple of near fatal car wrecks several years ago. Even my spinal implant has limited effect any more, and the drugs trash me, but I digress again. Now..............

I have always installed and maintained my own home security system. My old system was close to 20 years old, and getting buggy. I replaced the fire/smoke detectors last year. And I am replacing the old FBI panel with a new Honeywell Vista 20p series unit. I have replaced all the motion detectors. Of course, they were a pain in the ass too. They are now way too small to mount in a standard back-box, so I had to come up with a special mounting system to allow them to mount in the box, and yet not hinder operation. They also have a dog corridor function that won't sense animals smaller than 70 pounds or so. Our Black Lab is a bit bigger so it will be interesting to see if he trips the alarm. I have to do the wireless break-glass detectors, and that's all for ancillary components. I am at the point of programming the alarm panel itself. Jesus. The old one, while comprehensive to do, is nothing like the new ones. For starters, I can't get the programming software to run properly on my machines, so I have to program through one of the keypads. That in itself isn't too tough, but they have added a zillion panel parameters (some of which are Greek to me) making it a long drawn out process. I'm sure once it's down, there will probably be a shit-ton of do-overs to make it work the way I want it .

The bottom line is, I think this whole house thing is teaching me I'm not as young or spry as I used to be. In spite of my back, arthritis, and other limiting effects of aging on a body that has been rode hard and put away wet, it's just not in my make-up to sit back and let someone else do the work. I guess it's the old story of the heart and mind are willing, but the body is sadly lacking. But I swear I will finish this project if it kills me. And if it does.........

Don't it look nice?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Actually Eddie....your sudden disappearance and now sudden appearance has prompted me to say..."Eddie...you still alive"? .....but your home improvement story has touched my heart.... So carry on and get back to work......
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

You were gone?
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Welcome back... I'm new here.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    You were gone?
    Do we even know this guy?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Do we even know this guy?
    Your still afloat? Damn, I thought someone torpedoed you months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Actually Eddie....your sudden disappearance and now sudden appearance has prompted me to say..."Eddie...you still alive"? .....but your home improvement story has touched my heart.... So carry on and get back to work......
    Thanks, but I thought Canada was annexed by Russia. I'll check with brother Trump since he has dual citizenship with them.

Welcome back and stuff. I'm rehabbing the hacienda here myself. We've collected too much stuff and the XYL has a shopping habit compounded by the ease of online shopping. I'm finding stuff that I have to keep asking myself, WTF was this for? My own personal stuff has come and gone with radios and what not of a technical or photographic nature. The XYL has begun renting a storage unit which after all is said and done I'm hoping we won't need it in the future.

Slow and steady wins the race they say so I'm going slow at it while taking time to enjoy those Summer time things I care about which so far has been riding. Need to get some camera time in and build up some new photos for next years batch of what will hang. Finding a new spot to hunt the Milky Way is top on the list.

Welp, back to finish reassembling the bike. I had to get deep into the lights to see which way the headlight adjustment is threaded. It can be adjusted without removal but it works too slow and you're kind of working blind. Yes. The adjustments are buried under fairings and plastic. Added a little carbon fiber wrap and LED lights surrounding the main light. No. Not that halo stuff like they like to do on cars now. Just not into that.

Good luck and try a little (a lot sometimes) turmeric for the aches and pains. Reduces inflammation.

Good luck there with the work in your advanced "young age" ;)
    Quit doing that when i sold my former own house and rented since, just call the rental owner and have it done free sipping coffee watching the work done.
    After the large cleanout we had last year, dumping 25 cubic meter of stuff on the local landfill we now have a nice clean uncluttered house and since the year before that i painted the whole lot ( 2800 square feet house) i'm done with it.

Just the odd little things like replacing the old LED outside lighting with new even more saving type as well using it inside the living room and hallway as night lights.

I've done my bit fixing up my house i owned then, and several friends houses doing everything from pouring new floors taking the roof off and rebuild, build extentions etc.
    With my bad back i decided that was now out of the future.
    Take care of the old body, you only have one.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I want to know if Eddie got laid during the renovation.
    Stay healthy my friends.