Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Parts

I still say you need to sail that bad boy up the Salt River, hang a left (port), when you reach the Gila River, then, hang a right (starboard) to New River wash, hit the fog horn, and I'll have the gate open for you. By the way, you should have asked. I picked up three of those things at a yard sale, and ended up selling them on Ebay to some bloke in England.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 06-16-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Tie that scurvy dog to yardarm!
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Down here in Southern California, the open seas are only slightly rougher than your average mill pond during the summer months. When the wind really gets blowing, I stick to SD Bay—if I go out at all—but that’s more due to a lack of confidence in my own sailing skills than any worries about the boat itself. Cal 29s like the one I own are tough little boats. They have successfully weathered severe storms and completed trans-Pacific crossings, so the local ocean shouldn’t be more than it can handle.

Nice... I love rough water.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    Tie that scurvy dog to yardarm!
    Arrrrr! My boat be fore-and-aft rigged, matey. She ain't got no yardarms.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 06-22-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Nice... I love rough water.
    Went out on the ocean on a friend's Gulfstar 39 on Monday, about an eight-hour round trip. Sailed out and rounded an oil tanker anchored about five miles offshore. Them motherfuckers is WIDE. Seas were typical for this time of year, not more than two feet or so. Fun day.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 06-22-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Went out on the ocean on a friend's Gulfstar 39 on Monday, about an eight-hour round trip. Sailed out and rounded an oil tanker anchored about five miles offshore. Them motherfuckers is WIDE. Seas were typical for this time of year, not more than two feet or so. Fun day.
    When you get out in the main drag, do you see much aqua life? Seems like the sharks are a bit more active than years past. Do much fishing?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    When you get out in the main drag, do you see much aqua life? Seems like the sharks are a bit more active than years past. Do much fishing?
    I do fish here in the harbor and off the breakwater, catch and release.

Didn’t see any wildlife at all out in the ocean but, man, is there ever a lot of big ship traffic out there. As well as at least four huge oil tankers, there were numerous warships—two CVs, an Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer like the one that was involved in the collision off of Japan and one of these things:

An FSF-1 Seafighter, one of the Navy’s new experimental class of littoral combat ships.

Well, it took some doing—three hours with a cutoff wheel in a pneumatic die grinder, a modified gear puller, the help of a scuba diver, two days of near immobility from a sprung back, a lot of penetrating oil and even more sweating and swearing but the coupling is finally in place and my boat ready to sail again! WOOT!

Last edited by NQ6U; 07-29-2017 at 03:27 PM.