Thread: Who Does He Think He Is? B94FM?

Who Does He Think He Is? B94FM?

FCC Daily Digest reports a Notice of Violation issued to Lyle Hilden KD6LUL, for operating a pirate FM broadcast station on 93.7 MHz

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-345096A1.pdf

[ Oh, for those that were wondering... the former WBZZ-FM transmitted on 93.7 MHz, and used to identify on the air as "B94 FM"

Since their heyday as the top Teen/Young Adult station ended, they've had a few changes of calls, formats, and owners. Today, the station has a new to them call... KDKA FM ]
    Last edited by W3WN; 05-30-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Very appropriate that LUL means dick in Dutch ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Welp...as I've stated repeatedly...fastest way to an NOV/NOUO/NAL is to become a BCB pirate.

Park that stuff in an out-of-the-way area where its primary users aren't going to raise too much of a stink then keep irregular hours and chances are you'll never be pinched.

Or just go nuts on the HF ham bands.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Welp...as I've stated repeatedly...fastest way to an NOV/NOUO/NAL is to become a BCB pirate.

Park that stuff in an out-of-the-way area where its primary users aren't going to raise too much of a stink then keep irregular hours and chances are you'll never be pinched.

Or just go nuts on the HF ham bands.
    can go nuts on HF bands for years into decades. but BCB nyet, big corporate radio no like piss ants pissing in their pool
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by W2NAP View Post
    can go nuts on HF bands for years into decades. but BCB nyet, big corporate radio no like piss ants pissing in their pool
    Geyut awff mah lawn ya dumm sumbitch!

Beach Bum
    I don't understand hams who set up pirate stations on the FM band. They are just too obvious to local stations who will complain about them. More of them should set up shortwave pirate stations instead. At least they can get signal reports from around the world by email.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KE6KA View Post
    I don't understand hams who set up pirate stations on the FM band. They are just too obvious to local stations who will complain about them. More of them should set up shortwave pirate stations instead. At least they can get signal reports from around the world by email.
    Funny enough?

You wont get too many complaints if you a) run lower power, b) pick a clear channel, c) don't run 24x7, d) periodically change locations, and e) run a clean station.

We have a local pirate, been running for years. Great signal, low power, runs somewhere between 5AM-10AM, and then from 5PM-12AM, for about 3 hours at a time. FCC just doesn't have the resources to actively hunt, and if there's no interference complaints, the motivation is even lower.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Funny enough?

You wont get too many complaints if you a) run lower power, b) pick a clear channel, c) don't run 24x7, d) periodically change locations, and e) run a clean station.

We have a local pirate, been running for years. Great signal, low power, runs somewhere between 5AM-10AM, and then from 5PM-12AM, for about 3 hours at a time. FCC just doesn't have the resources to actively hunt, and if there's no interference complaints, the motivation is even lower.
    There's actually another pirate on the air here 24/7 and running a LOT of power. I've been wondering how long that one's gonna last.

But yeah. I assisted with numerous pirate busts over the course of my career, and all but one were busted for interference complaints. The one was a complaint by an engineer for a co-channel station from about 60 miles away and quite far out of its service contour, but he happened to be traveling and listening to see how far the signal of his station could be heard.

I myself actually ran a "pirate" station for two decades. I never advertised it and I haven't done it in years, but I ran a watt into a single bay, which covered about a 1.5 mile radius. Once a week we did a live show and turned on the PA for a few hours; 15 watts into a single bay, which could be heard for 6-8 miles; But it was clean with great audio, and well-filtered. I don't know if I'd even attempt that now. There was a time when you could find a frequency that didn't interfere with anything. Now there's a Christian satellator squeezed into every possible place, and there are dedicated listeners to that shite that will complain and get you shut down pretty quick.

The NAB has a powerful lobby and so does the NRB. The Prometheus Radio project was no match for the NRB. Apparently a 250 watt translator won't create second-adjacent interference if a magic band-pass filter hand made by Jesus himself is installed, and those filters are only available to select Christian broadcasters.