Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora + Grub Menu Gone

Fedora + Grub Menu Gone

I am on Fedora 25. The other day did a few system upgrades to keep everything up to date. Usually on initial bootup I get the Grub menu that appears on screen so I can select which kernel I want to boot into, whether I want to boot into rescue mode and/or whether I want to add any specialized boot options. Suddenly I am not getting that menu anymore. It just boots into some kernel and eventually takes me to the login screen, Any ideas ? I'm not too familiar with GRUB troubleshooting... in the past it always just worked. Has anyobne else experienced this and or anyone familiar with diagnosing the GRUB boot loader ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Island Regular
    Haven't updated mine in 2 weeks, probably should, but...
    Sounds like some (technical term alert) linkages got screwed up (ok, another technical term).
    Not too familiar with the whole GRUB / boot process, like you said it just always seems to work... and when it doesn't.. oh crap!
    Which kernel is it booting into? The latest you updated too?

uname -r

should give you the version.

If you use IRC, you can try asking in the #fedora groups.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

You may have to wait a bit since most of the fedora group members are out getting their chapeaus dry cleaned and re-blocked
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by N3XJN View Post
    Haven't updated mine in 2 weeks, probably should, but...
    Sounds like some (technical term alert) linkages got screwed up (ok, another technical term).
    Not too familiar with the whole GRUB / boot process, like you said it just always seems to work... and when it doesn't.. oh crap!
    Which kernel is it booting into? The latest you updated too?

uname -r

should give you the version.

If you use IRC, you can try asking in the #fedora groups.
    It's booting into kernel "4.10.16-200.fc25.x86_64". You're right, I might have to ask around on one of the Fedora tech forums or chat groups.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    You may have to wait a bit since most of the fedora group members are out getting their chapeaus dry cleaned and re-blocked
    LOL..

Orca Whisperer
    It looks like the nowait, along with the splash kernel option got passed to the grub conf, during an update.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    It looks like the nowait, along with the splash kernel option got passed to the grub conf, during an update.
    So what would be my best option ? Should I change those settings in /etc/default/grub and then run "# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" ?

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    So what would be my best option ? Should I change those settings in /etc/default/grub and then run "# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" ?
    I "think" so. It's been quite some time since I've played with boot options (Just make it work).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Island Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Ok, I'll admit... I had to look up what a "chapeaus" was. lol
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

From what I can tell my configuration looks correct, I can't find anything that would cause the boot menu not to show up on-screen. In fact when I am booting the machine it pauses at about the time the menu should appear and it seems as if it's trying to show the menu. I see a black screen and a small white prompt and the monitor seems to change resolutions but no boot menu ever becomes visible. Then it just times out and boots into whatever kernel is set as the default.

Actually it's not that terrible of a problem. Since this system only runs Fedora Linux I don;t need the boot menu for selecting between different operating system. All I need it for is to select which installed kernel I want it to boot into and there are other ways to do that without a boot menu... So I can live with it like this but it would still be nice to get it running right and show the menu again.

P.S. I have a similar system in the next room running Fedora 25 as well. I can take a look at those configuration files and compare them with the ones on this system to check for any discrepancies...
    Last edited by n2ize; 05-26-2017 at 10:12 AM.