Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Leaving he Email Business

How about QTH.com? I have been using QTH.com for hosting, and never had an issue with e-mail. I saw 'encryption' under email on my control panel. Not free, $1 a month is a small price to pay, no ads, and choice of web mail clients as well as all the email download options.

(never had issues with hosting either, and the best in support)
    Last edited by N1LAF; 05-18-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    How about QTH.com? I have been using QTH.com for hosting, and never had an issue with e-mail. I saw 'encryption' under email on my control panel. Not free, $1 a month is a small price to pay, no ads, and choice of web mail clients as well as all the email download options.

(never had issues with hosting either, and the best in support)
    I don't mind spending a small fee for email service. I want my emails to be free of any ads.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I'd go with the gmail option.

Speaking as a person who had his own mail server for 13 years, it's setup the closest to how I would configure my own mail service.

The ads don't bother me. It's been rock solid as a platform... and the two factor auth is really nice with a smartphone.

If there's something better, I do not know about it... so look at other suggestions carefully. Others might know things I don't.
    I already have one Gmail account. Since I don't care for webmail I use Thunderbird as my email client. It's working well. Only change was that I recently had to switch protocols from POP3 to imap.

Been on Hotmail since the dawn of time. Ad blocker works great. Never had a problem with it that I am aware of. YMMV

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Saw this today...

"The advance allows Google to determine how many sales have been generated by digital ad campaigns, a goal that industry insiders have long described as “the holy grail” of online advertising. But the announcement also renewed long-standing privacy complaints about how the company uses personal information.

To power its multi-billion dollar advertising juggernaut, Google already analyzes users’ web browsing, search history and geographic locations, using data from popular Google-owned apps like YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps and the Google Play store. All that information is tied to the real identities of users when they log into Google’s services.

The new credit card data enables the tech giant to connect these digital trails to real-world purchase records in a far more extensive way than was possible before. But in doing so, Google is yet again treading in territory that consumers may consider too intimate and potentially sensitive. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.03d71b3f0f4b

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I don't mind spending a small fee for email service. I want my emails to be free of any ads.
    QTH.com supports both SSL and non-SSL POP3/IMAP/SMTP

No ads, and has multiple methods of SPAM control, which works very well. More on this here: https://hosting.qth.com/knowledgebas...ssistance.html

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    QTH.com supports both SSL and non-SSL POP3/IMAP/SMTP

No ads, and has multiple methods of SPAM control, which works very well. More on this here: https://hosting.qth.com/knowledgebas...ssistance.html
    Thanks. I am going to seriously consider going this route.

Island Regular
    Well, finally got my notice from Verizon.
    June 23, it's gone.. for me.

XYL is probably going to try AOL mail, I'm working on converting to gmail.
    They all data-mine all the time so not sure what the point is any more unless you're encrypting everything... but I can say gmail has just 'worked' reliably... trying to work with VZ tech support is horrible and may have to do it one more time to get one of the XYL's accounts corrected.

Wish me luck.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

I've had the verizon email addresses prior to us buying the house... close to 14 years. So I'm going to keep them, just because so many things over the years are tied to them.

That said, I'm also looking at alternatives. If I can find something I like (and I will look into QTH.COM amongst others), I'll switch my "primary" email to that, and just keep the Verizon emails for bills, notices, and things like that.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Been on Hotmail since the dawn of time. Ad blocker works great. Never had a problem with it that I am aware of. YMMV
    Same here, Hotmail since the modem dayz and Winders 3.1.

I have Yahoo; hacked, with a probable vector of a banned troll here, as well as the massive Russian compromise.
    This was my go to ham radio email. I still get feeds from Yahoo groups and the Ten Tec reflector there.
    Don't send shit from there, ever, going on two years now. Due to this, the spam is quite small.

Gmail; never hacked (phishing attempts made and deflected), massive news junkie feeds and some family stuff.
    Pretty careful about what I do on the web, I get very little advertising spam here. Even with the news feeds.

Outlook.com, AKA Hotmail; this has been the best all along. For all the years, the amount of spam is pretty small.
    I don't love Microsoft, but I have found them to be effective with many things, including phishing reports.

As a Microsoft 365 subscriber for my wife and I, the Outlook client software is really good.
    I run work and personal accounts there with separate folders and authentication.

YMMV, of course. Just don't get the "I hate" Microsoft or Google or Apple, etc. nonsense.
    Just pay attention, learn the strength and weaknesses, and keep on keepin on.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman