Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Leaving he Email Business

Verizon Leaving he Email Business

Today I had to call Verizon FiOS for some tech support. During the call the agent mentioned that Verizon is leaving the email business and they will soon shut down their "verizon.net" email domain. Us customers are given two options. One is we can keep our "verizon.net" email addresses but they will be operated by AOL (which doesn't thrill me very much),. Apparently VZ decided to outsource it's email domain to AOL. The other option is to migrate to another email provider of my own choice. This will be my preferred option although it will mean that I will have to notify people of my email address change. It's a Verizon sort of thing, they seem to enjoy cutting out services except for phone, internet, and TV services.

In the meantime does anyone know a good email provider that is reliable and flexible (i.e. POP, imap, encryption, etc.). ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer
    GMail.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    GMail.
    I have one Gmail account open that I've been using for a while. When VZ is ready to pull the plug I might just migrate all my email services over to Gmail.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

pretty much anything is better than aol email.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Island Regular
    So how is VZ communicating this to it's email subscribers? This is the first I'm hearing about it.

Oh wait, I bet they probably aren't planning to... it will be a 'seamless transition' to AOL, then when it doesn't work you call for tech spt and find out.

Ah.
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Today I had to call Verizon FiOS for some tech support. During the call the agent mentioned that Verizon is leaving the email business and they will soon shut down their "verizon.net" email domain. Us customers are given two options. One is we can keep our "verizon.net" email addresses but they will be operated by AOL (which doesn't thrill me very much),. Apparently VZ decided to outsource it's email domain to AOL. The other option is to migrate to another email provider of my own choice. This will be my preferred option although it will mean that I will have to notify people of my email address change. It's a Verizon sort of thing, they seem to enjoy cutting out services except for phone, internet, and TV services.

In the meantime does anyone know a good email provider that is reliable and flexible (i.e. POP, imap, encryption, etc.). ?
    You do know that Verizon owns AOL, right?

Their existing email infrastructure is outdated, to say the least. So someone at Verizon made the decision to consolidate Verizon email into the (slightly) more modern AOL email, since it would be cheaper.

Or it would be, if they were handling it right. Instead, they're their usual clumsy selves, so to speak, from one aspect to the next.

And if you think this is being badly handled, just wait... Verizon is about to buy Yahoo as well. Can't wait to see what they do to, er, with THAT email system... and forums, groups, email lists and...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by N3XJN View Post
    So how is VZ communicating this to it's email subscribers? This is the first I'm hearing about it.

Oh wait, I bet they probably aren't planning to... it will be a 'seamless transition' to AOL, then when it doesn't work you call for tech spt and find out.

Ah.
    They're phasing it in. We learned about it a few months ago, just last week got the "hey, now it's your turn!" emails.

We have a little over a month to transition.

And so far, it's been anything but seamless. "Just go to this web page!" 404 error. Lovely.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Island Regular
    Nice.

Haven't seen any emails about "my turn" yet, the XYL is going to try and switch to AOL, she doesn't want to loose her addresses or update all the accounts.

I've had 2 gmail accounts for a few months with everything from Verizon fwd'd to them, guess I better start the full conversion to gmail.
    Ugh!
    Dan - N3XJN
    <this sig is under construction>

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I'd go with the gmail option.

Speaking as a person who had his own mail server for 13 years, it's setup the closest to how I would configure my own mail service.

The ads don't bother me. It's been rock solid as a platform... and the two factor auth is really nice with a smartphone.

If there's something better, I do not know about it... so look at other suggestions carefully. Others might know things I don't.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...