Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner questions

Beginner questions

Hi again everybody. So as I have already explained, I am totally new to the world of Ham radio and as yet don't even have a license. I want to start studying towards my general license but I do not have the spare time to physically attend classes. My life is pretty hectic at the moment. So I have been looking at a few online options. I have come across www. hamclass.net. $59 to enroll in the course. Does that sound fair? Can anybody vouch for the reliability of the training? Or are there better resources out there that you would recommend instead? I was also starting to take a look for suitable beginners equipment on http://www.used.forsale/ with a view to saving some money towards a purchase once I have obtained my license. I think something reasonably affordable and beginner friendly would fit the ticket while I am just starting out. Does anybody have any recommendations for a radio that would be suitable? Is there a particular make or model that best for newbies? Thanks in advance for any pointers folks.

white_question_mark.png
    Last edited by China; 05-16-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Buy the book. Take with you everywhere. Memorize the entire contents. Take the test.
    The ARRL book explains everything the best and just because you're memorizing doesn't mean you're not learning. The real learning comes when you get hands on.

Find an elmer near you that can give help, studying from books can be intimidating without personal help.
    That is how i have trained new license holders to their exam, personal advise, help in electronics, and the explanation of stuff they didn't understand.

radio?depends on your interests as you get your license, here the elmer is also a good help, certainly if it is a ham, and can show you the world of ham radio from H.F. up to millimeter waves.

I started out on 2 meter and 70 cm's and 23cm SSB modes and now 160 meter is the favorite band, from one end of the spectrum to the other.
    If you can get a receiver you can start listening in, and get the hang of it.

Mostly i let my students build a simple circuit, so they learn to solder, and get known with the several parts and building something that works gives them lots of joy.
    Let them build a simple wire antenna and run tests about it and work stations on it, under supervision that is allowed here, showing you don't need an factory made antenna but can build it for a dime.

Hope that helps.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Here are some ideas that might help:
    1. Buy The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual 3rd Edition and carry it around with you so that it is always convenient to read. I liked the spiral bound hands-free version because it stays open while eating or having a cup of coffee. Use a steno pad for notes regarding things that are not clear to you.
    2. Watch YouTube shows such as "Ham College"
    3. Study the flash Cards at HamExam.org and take the practice exams. The site is free and allows you to track your progress. Refer back to the ARRL Manual on questions that you often miss.
    4. Buy a soldering tool and a multimeter and learn how to use them. They are a necessities when you are putting your gear together.
    5. Seek advice of an Elmer.

the guys are giving you good advice whatever method you choose to learn the material you must immerse yourself in it then youve both learned and prepared to pass
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Good points. You can also take practice tests online as mentioned earlier. I decided to take the test for Extra when I was passing the practice tests on QRZ dot com in under 10 minutes.

Best advice I can give is this: Don't listen to any of the advice you get on QRZ or eHam.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

^^True That!!^^

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Buy once; cry once when it comes to electronic tools.

A good DMM and soldering iron plus a technician's tool kit (screwdrivers, cutters, stripping tools, crimpers, soldering aids) will definitely be on your short list to get.

My test lab is a little more comprehensive since I do design and mod work as a counterpart to my day job. See if you enjoy the hobby enough to invest in additional test equipment then I'll/we'll help spend your money.

Radios - all in what you're looking to do. For a general-purpose multiband handheld which is also waterproof (literally), I highly recommend the Yaesu VX6, VX7 or VX8 series. Kenwood's TH6FA is also another good choice, albeit not waterproof.

Mobiles and fixed-station rigs open up an entirely new can o' worms...and will get some interesting discussions raging about what's "best".
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Buy once; cry once when it comes to ... <snip>
    Mobiles and fixed-station rigs open up an entirely new can o' worms...and will get some interesting discussions raging about what's "best".
    hy·gro·scop·ic
    ˌhīɡrəˈskäpik/
    adjective
    adjective: hygroscopic

• (of a substance) tending to absorb moisture from the air.

• relating to humidity or its measurement.

Hygroscopic cpu insulators come to mind ... uh huh.