Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Xenia

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Seriously, I've noted that the aforementioned JX has been absent from eHam for a few days, at least among his usual haunts (Hamfest forum, Antenna Restriction forum, Amplifier forum, to name a few) Maybe that's just as well...
    You aren't looking hard enough. Over in the Mods and Repairs area, he's busy telling Clif Holland ('IPF) and 'ATS that they don't know what they're talking about when it comes to repairing Kenwood gear.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    You aren't looking hard enough. Over in the Mods and Repairs area, he's busy telling Clif Holland ('IPF) and 'ATS that they don't know what they're talking about when it comes to repairing Kenwood gear.
    You're right, I wasn't looking.

You making it this year?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

As near as I can tell the new Xenia location worked out at least "acceptably" for most hams who attended.

Far better than I had thought it would go. Sadly I missed it due to my wife's surgery.

Maybe next year.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

It certainly worked better than some naysayers would have you believe it was going to be.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Let me repeat some of what I said on eHam Friday night, with some info about Saturday added...

Friday: Traffic was bad coming in; we came in from Dayton on US 35, and took the "recommended" turn. As did a lot of people, as it turned out. So... the eHam curmudgeon and naysayer, preacher of doom & glioom gets one point for that prediction. However, after talking with other members of my club and some of the other WPA clubs, I found out that there were several other routes, as one person put it, "coming in the back door" and most of those were pretty much smooth sailing, So we'll take a different route in tomorrow morning.

Saturday: Word was that after Friday, Hamvention staff met that night with the Sheriff's department, local law enforcement, fairground officials and county officials. They saw where the bottlenecks where and allegedly addressed them. They did; I did not hear from anyone about any delays on the "main" drag of more than 10 minutes. K3AIR & I parked at the Xenia High School lot about a mile and half from the fairgrounds, came in on a school bus and took a shuttle to the main gate. We made the HS from the U of Dayton dorms in about 20 minutes (excluding a breakfast break at Mickey Dees), if that, and once parked, were onsite in under 10 minutes. Very smooth!

Friday: Once we got on site, there was plenty of parking. We (K3AIR & I) chose to park across the street from Gate 4 for a $5 donation to one of the Scout troops. I could have parked for free if I'd pulled in to the fairgrounds, but that was my choice.

Plenty of parking. Plenty of areas to walk. NO mud. Oh, there were one or two spots were some water had gathered and would have been treacherous, all were 'roped off' with traffic cones and yellow warning tape. No disasters there.

The buildings and tents were all clean, dry, and packed with people. Almost every table was filled. Crowd was polite, and it wasn't too hard to get around.

Plenty of restrooms. Some port-a-potty's, but every building had a restroom. Most were also marked that they doubled as tornado shelters, which leads to some obvious jokes I'll make another time.

Food choices were fabulous. Around a dozen food trucks, with a lot of choices I'd never seen at Hamvention. Pricey, but you'd expect that with a captive audience regardless of the venue.

Flea market area... some areas around the... racetrack? Some by the main buildings. Granted, less spaces than what was available at HARA, BUT, almost every space was filled. Plenty of junque, er, unique treasures. (I snagged my long coveted 2 KW transmatch, a home brew version of The Ultimate Transmatch, for a song... the parts alone are worth more than I paid, I just have to give the steel case a coat of touch up paint)

Some of the flea market paths were on grass, but others were on pavement. No mud.

We did get some rain a little after 4. Sunny skies until shortly before then. Rain was intense but stopped after about 20 Minutes. Neither Mike nor I saw anyone trying to leave who was walking through mud or whose car was stuck in the mud.

Traffic back wasn't too bad. I made the mistake of getting on US 35 E instead of W, so we had to double back and ran into a little traffic we otherwise wouldn't have, but that is MY fault.

Misc: Crowd seemed up, though it's hard to do an accurate comparison. Many vendors I talked to mentioned that they were QUITE pleased at how easy it was to get in and get setup. (W4PA & I had a nice discussion on how he didn't have to schlep things half way across the world this year, to mention one).

And this is very important: There was NO odor or any other evidence of past occupation by sheep, goats, cows, chickens, pigs, or other barnyard animals. The exhibit buildings all had concrete floors, and they were CLEAN.

Saturday: The overnight rain squall did make things in a few spots muddier. The biggest issues were in some parts of the flea market, where the powered scooters and some heavy trucks tore up the grass and left mud behind. Well, that's typical of any hamfest that uses a grassier area that's just had some rain. It wasn't bad in the morning. And the issues were mainly in the center of the 'roads' or paths, right up along the spaces themselves, for the most part, they weren't bad. (Of course, there were exceptions)

I did see one, and I do mean ONE, hover round get stuck in the mud. Guy driving it was stubborn and insisted on going right smack through the mud when he didn't have to, and then would not or could not get off and help push it out. His poor wife, screaming at him the whole time, tried to push it out; a few people came and helped, and he got it out. And then continued on like nothing had happened, didn't even thank the people who'd pushed him out of the mud. Not pleasant, but this one goes squarely on the schmuck driving for being stubborn jackass.

About 11;15 a very heavy rain squall came through. Most people "took cover" in one of the buildings, and there were plenty of places to take cover. Once it blew over, the main Hamvention exhibit area was dried out in not more than 10 minutes.

The flea market area, well, that was another story. Yes, it was muddier, mainly again down the centers. Some flea market exhibitors simply packed up and left, and again, they are the ones who contributed to more mud. Can't say much more than that, as I stayed away from the area afterwards.

Overall impresssion: 9.5 out of 10. They got the traffic issues straightened out after one day, which was the way to do it. They have to get a better handle on the layout of the flea market and how to deal with the inevitable mud, if they keep it in the grass; an issue which can be solved.

In short: They done good, especially considering this was the first year in a new venue. It wasn't perfect. But they will do better next year.
    Last edited by W3WN; 05-22-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

It certainly worked better than some naysayers would have you believe it was going to be.
    Amazingly enough, no one seems to have heard word one from W8JX since all the positive reports started coming in. Go figure.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

not at all bad for a version one event+location combination ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I'm picturing Jim Lahey (Trailer Park Boys) standing on scene with a fifth in one hand and an HT in the other...

Well, it took a full 2 days. W8JX is at it again.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...html#msg999363

He really does have a hard-on for DARA, doesn't he?

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I'm glad I got to HARA once in the late 1980's, before things really went downhill. Watching it slowly fall apart over the last 20 years, and especially the last 5, has been... had been... sad.

But that's in the past now.

Regarding Xenia, you have to remember that the Greene County Fairgrounds was pretty much flattened by a tornado or weather event several years ago, and totally rebuilt from the ground up. So we're not talking about buildings that have been 'farmed' (farm-showed?) for 50 to 75 years.

What is really sad is that one W8JX is screaming long & loud that the GCFG is full of dung, used straw, and so forth. Of course, he knows this because... he lives nearby; he hasn't actually gone there and seen for himself. [ And frankly -- hi Frank! -- I'm getting a little tired of constantly being called (along with everyone else) a sheep to be sheared by DARA. ] It's pretty obvious his real gripe is with DARA, and he is going overboard to smear them, Hamvention, and anyone even thinking of going with the same stuff he alleges the buildings are full of.

We shall find out soon enough.
    It takes a pile to recognize a pile, just saying!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"