Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xenia

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Glad I made at least one year at HARA.

Just the facilities at Xenia seem suspect. I go to a lot of horse shows/animal shows. We've got a fairgrounds here which is even larger than HARA or the smaller Xenia location. I wouldn't dare trying to have a hamfest there. As you might imagine the whole place has been inundated with dung. You can't wash that out. The smell always lingers.

While that's acceptable when they have the Berrien County Youth Fair (which is animal focused), it's a real turn off to think of eating a cheap pizza slice and viewing radios in that type of venue.

I'll know more the next time I attend. But at face value it's uninspiring.
    I'm glad I got to HARA once in the late 1980's, before things really went downhill. Watching it slowly fall apart over the last 20 years, and especially the last 5, has been... had been... sad.

But that's in the past now.

Regarding Xenia, you have to remember that the Greene County Fairgrounds was pretty much flattened by a tornado or weather event several years ago, and totally rebuilt from the ground up. So we're not talking about buildings that have been 'farmed' (farm-showed?) for 50 to 75 years.

What is really sad is that one W8JX is screaming long & loud that the GCFG is full of dung, used straw, and so forth. Of course, he knows this because... he lives nearby; he hasn't actually gone there and seen for himself. [ And frankly -- hi Frank! -- I'm getting a little tired of constantly being called (along with everyone else) a sheep to be sheared by DARA. ] It's pretty obvious his real gripe is with DARA, and he is going overboard to smear them, Hamvention, and anyone even thinking of going with the same stuff he alleges the buildings are full of.

We shall find out soon enough.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    What, I'm not good enough?

Oh, so I was only one letter off..... I'd rather be here anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    She's gay... just saying.
    She's also a Cylon. Number Three, as memory serves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...tar_Galactica)
    NUmber3BSG.jpg
    Last edited by W3WN; 05-05-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    ...What is really sad is that one W8JX is screaming long & loud...
    Let's just say that - in the grand scheme of things, and being as polite as one can - the old saw "Better to remain silent..." has never held truer for anyone I can remember. And not just about Dayton.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I'm glad I got to HARA once in the late 1980's, before things really went downhill. Watching it slowly fall apart over the last 20 years, and especially the last 5, has been... had been... sad.

But that's in the past now.

Regarding Xenia, you have to remember that the Greene County Fairgrounds was pretty much flattened by a tornado or weather event several years ago, and totally rebuilt from the ground up. So we're not talking about buildings that have been 'farmed' (farm-showed?) for 50 to 75 years.

What is really sad is that one W8JX is screaming long & loud that the GCFG is full of dung, used straw, and so forth. Of course, he knows this because... he lives nearby; he hasn't actually gone there and seen for himself. [ And frankly -- hi Frank! -- I'm getting a little tired of constantly being called (along with everyone else) a sheep to be sheared by DARA. ] It's pretty obvious his real gripe is with DARA, and he is going overboard to smear them, Hamvention, and anyone even thinking of going with the same stuff he alleges the buildings are full of.

We shall find out soon enough.
    I'm open minded. I'm also not parroting JX- my thoughts are my own.

My knowledge of the facilities issues surrounding Hamvention is limited to having attended once. Though that was a transcendent experience.

Part of my willingness to criticize the new venue comes from idolizing that arena since I was a kid. If Hara smelled like dung, I'd hardly have noticed. My dad used to show me pictures of Hamvention when I was little... and boy did I idolize that place and Hamvention in general.

So when I attended, I'm not sure I actually saw the state of the old facilities. I think I saw those pictures that were burned into my mind. Everyone else thought the place was falling down- I was walking through 1975.

Hara was such a part of amateur radio, it was Mecca. Just think of the mix of people who attended it over the years. The pedigree of those people is impeccable.

The legend of Hara is well earned. It's criticism compared to Xenia is simply mourning for what was... even if it wasn't near the end.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Well, one could bring up "Xeniaphobia".

Somehow, being a hamfest, it seems about right.

LOL !!
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

well, even under perfect conditions, this is version 1 in the new location, so no.

but a lot of what I've seen makes me suspicious... of course, all of this is through the lens of the Internet, so...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

There are going to be issues.
    There are going to be things that don't go according to plan.
    There are going to be unintended consequences.

Anyone who doesn't expect otherwise and plan accordingly is a fool.

It's the first year in a new (to the event) and completely different facility. Of COURSE there are going to be problems.

Even so... the obsession that certain posters have with barn animals and their after effects are beginning to make me wonder if their issue(s) have less to do with the Dayton ARA and more to do with their own phobias and kinks.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Even so... the obsession that certain posters have with barn animals and their after effects are beginning to make me wonder if their issue(s) have less to do with the Dayton ARA and more to do with their own phobias and kinks.
    Richland (Mansfield), Medina (Wellington) and Portage (Randolph) County hamfests have been held at county fairgrounds for years, as was Breezeshooters. As I mentioned a few posts earlier, the smell of ham almost always overrides the smell of pig, cow and horse.

Apart from that, the venues work well.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    There are going to be issues.
    There are going to be things that don't go according to plan.
    There are going to be unintended consequences.

Anyone who doesn't expect otherwise and plan accordingly is a fool.

It's the first year in a new (to the event) and completely different facility. Of COURSE there are going to be problems.

I'm at a loss as to why anyone would think differently. Of course there will be problems. It's the first year at a new venue. First years, for any large activity, is always painful.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

They should have kept the Shelby Hamfest at the new location in Dallas NC. It was clean, wide open, level and had plenty of parking. They moved it back after the town of Shelby NC groveled begged. That old Shelby fairgrounds is probably where the next shit volcano will go down in ham history.