Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Car Question

Beach Bum
    The only reason to use throttle body cleaner in modern vehicles if if the throttle body is sticking. The valve in them has a gap to let a small amount of air in at idle. Sometimes carbon and gummy deposits cause them to stick a little too far open, or reduces the gap and restricts air flow. Some throttle bodies have a coating on them, so you shouldn't use a cleaner that doesn't specifically state it is safe for newer vehicles. Also, it must also be MAF sensor safe. As far as I know, the engine should be off when cleaning the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by KE6KA View Post
    The only reason to use throttle body cleaner in modern vehicles if if the throttle body is sticking. The valve in them has a gap to let a small amount of air in at idle. Sometimes carbon and gummy deposits cause them to stick a little too far open, or reduces the gap and restricts air flow. Some throttle bodies have a coating on them, so you shouldn't use a cleaner that doesn't specifically state it is safe for newer vehicles. Also, it must also be MAF sensor safe. As far as I know, the engine should be off when cleaning the throttle body.
    The MAF sensor in video is on the intake tube about 6" before the throttle body. The intake tube is removed prior to spraying but you make a good point.
    If I wasn't concerned or if it wasn't a problem with messing the sensor up, I'd spray clear through the whole intake tubing by just taking off the air filter cover.

Of note, the front tires have been replaced. It had/has Firestone Destination LE on it. Great for trucks. Hard compound for heavy vehicles. Although some people call the Santa Fe an SUV, it's basically a shortened station wagon/hatchback hybrid sort of thing with 4 doors. With just the front replaced with Yokohamas my combined average gas mileage has already increased to 20.5 mpg so far. Keep in mind that figure includes the 10 or 15 already on the clock just before the tires were replaced.
    Monday morning the struts and the whole complete assemblies from top to bottom are getting replaced. Going to give the card a couple of days to cool down and then get the rear tires replaced to match the front tires. Finally, after some sweet talking I'm going to replace the rear shocks. The right side is getting noisy. If you saw our roads here you'd know why.