Thread: Linux "dnf" Upgrades.

Linux "dnf" Upgrades.

Hi, did my first DNF upgrade of this system and my drive ran out of space before dnf finished downloading the upgrade packages. Question, I now have no free space in my root partition. Can anyone tell me where dnf stores the upgrade packages so I can delete them, free up space and try again ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Ignore the above request. I found the directory where they are downloaded to. For anyone who needs to know for future reference it's /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade.

Now I am going to try to symlink "system-upgrade" to a filesystem that has more space and see if I can start bringing the system up to date.

Found something better. "dnf" let's you specify the directory you want it to download the packages to. So if the default partition doesn't have enough space you specify a directory in a partition with enough space. So far so good.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    I assume that you did something like sudo dnf update --refresh

I have never seen that problem after numerous updates.....are you using F25 ???
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    I assume that you did something like sudo dnf update --refresh

. I have never seen that problem after numerous updates.....are you using F25 ???
    Yep I did. I was upgrading from Fedora 21 which was way past it's end-of-life,, Problem is that when I originally partitioned the disc I didn't make enough space on the root file system where dnf/yum/fedup likes to store the cache of new rpm's for the new distro. I finally managed a solution but then I screwed up something else and messed up F21.

Good news is I am now on Fedora 25 and so far so good. I did an installation as opposed to an upgrade, It was a bit shaky at first but I did a distro-sync and got all the packages updated to their most recent state and that fixed the bugs. Got my KDE desktop up and running and so far all my favorite apps seem to be working. Now I am just putting back some of my applications that got lost in the upgrade. Everything else, home directories, settings, personal files, media projects, etc. have all been preserved.

P.S This particular system tends to be kind of finicky at upgrade time. The system in the other room running the exact same distros never so much as burped of belched during an upgrade.