Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF is it with Costco and their packaging?

Beach Bum

WTF is it with Costco and their packaging?

I purchased a point and shoot Fujifilm camera today. When I got it home I attempted to open the package, which was clam-shelled in between two pieces of thin cardboard that measures about 14 or 15 inches square. So, I took the first sharp object that was closest too me which was a pair of scissors and proceeded to cut the box containing the accessories. The blades on the scissors bent, so next tool ---- one of those exacto knives with the snap-off blades. I managed to get the box out of the clam shell after snapping the blade a few times. The camera itself was not in the box, but placed in the clam shell bubble in the upper third of this package so everyone could see the camera. Now here lies the problem. The bubble is molded to the contour of the camera, you shouldn't cut through the plastic because you might damage the camera. The best thing to do would be to cut a square out and around the camera and hope the clam shell bubble around the camera isn't glued shut with gorilla glue. I tried that, but the knife was both too small and too weak to go through four layers of packaging material. Since I couldn't find any other tools that didn't involve searching through the garage I just decided to cut around the camera....carefully. I made progress about a third of the way until the plastic started to distort. Yes, the blade was sharp. I started cutting from the other side of the camera and the same thing happend, so I just figured I would used a little force, which required setting it on the carpet and holding one end of the package down with my knees, and the damn thing still wouldn't slice open. So, I used a little more force with a larger knife and heard a crack, which was the display on the back of the camera. So, off to Costco tomorrow to exchange the thing. I did call Costco to complain about it. Their suggest was to use metal cutters and cut through the middle of the whole mess. I guess that is a solution, but I still think it is a bit much to require customers to get out the heavy-duty tools just to get a camera out of a package.

Now, I understand part of the reason for this is theft deterrent. It just seems like a better solution to this problem would be to have a display in the electronics department so people can see the products, then have write down the item number so they pick up the item after they pay for it the same way that it is done with laptops and other items.

Have them give you a free Dremel with a cutting disk.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Have them give you a free Dremel with a cutting disk.
    And a pound of C-4
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Don't shop Costco?
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

It's kayak mating season in Maine, so it might take a little time.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    It's kayak mating season in Maine, so it might take a little time.
    I caught mine in a threesome, they all scattered before I got the camera out. They are real thrill seekers, only seeming to want to do it during tornado weather.

The water is white for a reason.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

And don't forget rapid

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I hate that packaging shit. We didn't invent plug-n-play so that you could sell the cables in bulletproof packaging.