Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
The old plasma is 5 years old, HD ready, and still has a good piccie, but since my cable and satellite bos have full hd it was time to get something new.
Went for the Philips 43PUS6501 UHD and must say piccie is quite good, as is sound, even when i can't find the bloody speakers, just a small bezel around the fron, must be inside and directed to the back.

Smart tv, you won't get a manual, just online, but beeing the clever git i found most settings following my 2 braincells left...

No need for a rudy big screen, hate the big things, and i'm just 12 feet from the screen ans no neeed to keep moving my head left to righ to follow the motion...

Even SD quality improved, or maybe the old plasma had enough hours on the clock...
My son picked up the plasma to use with his computer...

Discovering netflix in 5,4,3,2, ....

Just my rambling...
How do you know when it's time for a new Television?

I purchased a Hi-Def television in 2007, not as energy efficient as a newer model but, still works great.

I also have a 32 inch TV that triples as a Monitor/OTA Television/ Firestick Host, maybe 4 years old, picture and sound play great.

Both share a similar problem, the remote controls for them don't work; one is so old (Olevia) that it's no longer supported by any Universal remotes and, after purchasing a factory replacement remote for the bottom-shelf Best-Buy "Insignia" brand, I find that, it is the receiver in the TV not reading the signal from the remote control.

Everything about the televisions are accessed / controlled by the remotes. Yes, I know that there are little buttons on the side that active menus and control the devices but, it would involve "Prehistoric" efforts to change channels, volumes or, heavens forbid a different video input.

BTW: I am not lazy, overweight, blind, suffer from carpal tunnel or, for that matter, "Stuck-on-stupid" for TV, my point is that most of the ease of operation is tied up in the remotes; without them, big hassles.

ETA: Friend purchased a returned "Smart" Big screen TV, all was grand but, it had someone else's Netflix account attached; because they didn't have user code to Netflix, they could not disable it so, they did a Factory reset on the TV. Huge mistake! Without the proper firmware, it will not recognize ANY remote. It comes on, asks for a code and sits there blank. Every effort to contact "Element" end up in frustration.

"Designed obsolescence".