Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Ham Radio Outlet pays minimum wage....

Beach Bum

So, Ham Radio Outlet pays minimum wage....

HRO is closing their Sunnyvale store.

I can understand the parking and rent expenses. However, the increase in minimum wage was mentioned. I think it is currently $13.00 in Sunnyvale, which is hardly an astronomical sum, and not much more than it is in Oakland. Of course, from what I've seen from many hams, the minimum wage thing doesn't surprise me.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/2...fter-26-years/

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by KE6KA View Post

I can understand the parking and rent expenses. However, the increase in minimum wage was mentioned. I think it is currently $13.00 in Sunnyvale, which is hardly an astronomical sum, and not much more than it is in Oakland. Of course, from what I've seen from many hams, the minimum wage thing doesn't surprise me.

I was there last week. The guy behind the counter said it mainly because of the rental increase. I find it hard to believe they would have shut the store over minimum wage. A pittance compared to the rent.

That guy K6SSJ has the ultimate whacker van. Porcupines everwhere are envious.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Bummer Reggie

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by KE6KA View Post

I have no respect for that company. Had a personal horror story. The fact that they swallowed AES is sad.

Hams seem to defend them because they are the "last large brick and mortar" store. That's not enough for me.

Hope they either change or close. And fast.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

i buy everything from R+L
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I have no respect for that company. Had a personal horror story. The fact that they swallowed AES is sad.

Hams seem to defend them because they are the "last large brick and mortar" store. That's not enough for me.

Hope they either change or close. And fast.
    I'm not too crazy about them myself. My first experience with them involved me being one of those "no-coder techs" in the Oakland store in 1991. When I was up in Portland a few years ago I was inquiring about some of the small portable MFJ antenna tuners and was pretty much dismissed when I asked if one of them had a balanced output. First, he didn't know what I was talking about. Then he told me I don't need that, everyone uses coax these days, then went on to say I can't have everything. Well, yes I can. MFJ makes antenna tuners with balanced line outputs. He told me to take a look at the MFJ website., at which point I told him I was really interested in buying an antenna tuner TODAY, I just couldn't remember the model number of the exact one I wanted, and there would be no coming back tomorrow because I would just order one on the internet. He comment: "We really don't make much on antenna tuners anyway." Well, that's not the point. The point is I would have purchased an antenna tuner if he would have taken the time to assist me. And I don't understand businesses that have that attitude regarding items with a low markup. Even it is a few dollars, it is still cash flow. But since the guy was probably making $8.00 an hour, he just didn't care.

I did order an SDR play from them. They were the only ones selling them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    i buy everything from R+L
    Do you drive over or use their catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    Do you drive over or use their catalog?

I just used the Internet and saved a ton of money over Company X on something by purchasing through R&L.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Kinda like Geico?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Kinda like Geico?
    Exactly, but without that damned lizard.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."