Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The tech bubble insanity in the Bay Area may ready to pop at any time.

Huntsville Al 1959
    4 bedroom ranch $17,400

Same house 2012 sold for
    $241,000

Not a bad return. Probably could have got more.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

The house in which I grew up in San Mateo, CA (now considered the northern limit of Silicon Valley):

3 Bedroom post-war crackerbox, maybe 1200 sq. ft. Purchased in 1953 for $13,000. Sold in 2015 for $750,000. That's an insane amount of money for such a lousy little house in a crappy neighborhood but, man, talk about a good ROI.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

While these are excellent ROI's, I have to ask how much of the increase is due to the devaluation of the dollar over time vs. actual increase in 'value' of the property. Did that come across right?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    While these are excellent ROI's, I have to ask how much of the increase is due to the devaluation of the dollar over time vs. actual increase in 'value' of the property. Did that come across right?
    Location, location, location, Eric.

Not to one up Carl, but my parent's house is now in the 830,000 range.

I'm sure inflation has a factor, but it's really about supply and demand.

It's a combo of opportunity plus mild weather that drives up prices. I didn't realize how big a deal the weather was until I moved to an area with snow.

Snow sucks, and I'm not alone in that assessment

*Edit to add*

Your new callsign completely ROCKS. You'll be popular in the contest this weekend...
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Ft. Lauderdale FL. 1962. 2 bedroom 2 bath one car garage and on a canal. Less than $8K.
    2015 this same house went on the market for $370K. That was my aunt and uncle's house.
    My cousin and her husband fixed it up so to speak. You could probably mow the whole yard in 30 minutes.

Prices vary widely for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    Location, location, location, Eric.

Not to one up Carl, but my parent's house is now in the 830,000 range.

I'm sure inflation has a factor, but it's really about supply and demand.

It's a combo of opportunity plus mild weather that drives up prices. I didn't realize how big a deal the weather was until I moved to an area with snow.

*Edit to add*

Your new callsign completely ROCKS. You'll be popular in the contest this weekend...
    For that ^^ Janet, thank you. That's why I'm waiting to get a decent antenna up by 7QP to use it. I should go county line portable for the 7QP; on CW. (If I could only copy contest quality...) ..the real reason is I am buried in other stuff to do much to my irritation

As an aside, when my folks sold out on their Littleton, CO house in the mid 90's, they originally bought for 21K in '69 and got out of it for 200k - quite the little profit. Too bad they used up a considerable portion of that getting into something different in the next state over. When we sold our Portland, OR house (bought for 110k in the mid 90's) in 2003 we netted roughly double in that time frame alone. So I get how location and demand run prices; I was just wondering how much inflation played into it.

It's weird how housing seems to be impervious to inflation in the sense that if you have property where no one wants to be, the price doesn't change a whole lot but if you have a place where everybody wants to be, well, the sky's the limit which lends me to believe emotions are running that maybe more than reality. Friends in rural bumf#@k NE with a junk house still get taxed at around the same ridiculous value (75k) for a dilapidated house as they have been for ever. Go figure.

I dunno, I fell out of the whole home ownership thing without the likelihood of getting back into it so I really don't have a dog in the fight anymore. As it is, we're lucky to have four walls and a pot to piss in right now. Not sure I want to be saddled with a new mortgage at 54, especially with the personal employment outlook looking so vague right now.

And yes, I tired of CO snow in '89, hence why I moved back to the place of my birth (like a salmon; upstream to spawn and die) to get away from it. Little did I realize how much that would be proven wrong from time to time in the form of freezing rain and ice. Snow would be a welcome relief instead of an ice storm. Lucky me it rains more often than not (like today - again - still...ungh)
    Last edited by WZ7U; 03-26-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    Depends on the person. I love the snow. But, that's because I love snow-activities: Winter camping, snowshoeing, hiking, etc.

My winter runs are some of the favorite runs too.

But, if you hole up at the first sign of snow, until spring, yeah, it makes you miserable.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Cold weather can be painful when it sets in your bones. Then your body starts acting weird.

I'm a snowflake, so...

Our house is a mighty fine house, with a dog and cat in the yard.
    And a mortgage that will be paid off about the time I retire.

Currently appraised at $430K and going up, up, up.

My wife won't retire (probably) as soon as I can.
    So we'll stay for a while mortgage free.

Before finding a place with wide hallways and no stairs.
    We both like the snow just fine, and love mountains.

But we might move out of CO.
    WY, MT, ID, NV, UT; maybe.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Depends on the person. I love the snow. But, that's because I love snow-activities: Winter camping, snowshoeing, hiking, etc.

My winter runs are some of the favorite runs too.

But, if you hole up at the first sign of snow, until spring, yeah, it makes you miserable.
    Yea I love the snow as well- which is why I'm on a hill, in a forest, next to Lake Michigan.

We don't have snow- it's a primary industry :)
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...