Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time Machines of uncommon construction

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    One thing I might add here: As I grew older (and hopefully wiser) over the years, I began to understand the difference between hobby grade and commercial use tools. Much as Carl notes that the Drake "reputation" may not be the same as the Drake "experience", but I'm still appreciative of the capabilities of a full 7-line setup.

When I finally wear my last Moto-Tool out it'll be replaced by a Foredom unit. That's another name I remember from back in the day and I'm happy to see them still in business. Pricy little units, though!
    And with some things there is also a difference between"hobby grade"and"toy grade".For example in the model aircraft hobby there are "hobby grade" model aircraft which are deigned to be repaired,modified,robust features, high performance, quality parts, etc.

"Toy grade" on the other hand is cheaply made, far less robust, often cannot be easily fixed, lack availability of spare parts, and have low overall performance. In short they are designed to marginally operate for a while then be tossed when anything on them breaks.Problem is that many beginners don't know the difference. They buy toy grade because it's cheaper but quickly get discouraged and leave the sport altogether.

True in music too. Like the difference between a cheap VSO (Violin Shaped Object) versus a
    a quality violin. Many people who start with a VSO because it's cheap end up discouraged and dropping out of music
    Last edited by n2ize; 04-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.