Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrrrg. Make it stop!!!

Arrrrg. Make it stop!!!

One of the beguiling things about the ham radio community is this overriding religiosity regarding radio preferences. I find it hard to understand.

I like cool radios of all vintages. But this never ending quest for ultimate bragging rights is beguiling and amusing.

For a while it was the Flex radio. Then the icom 7300. Then Elecraft. Now it's the new icom 7610 or whatever the new model is.

It's like chasing vapor. Most of these fanboys cannot take advantage of the full capabilities of the radio they replaced let alone a 3 to 4 thousand dollar rig.

Ok. I've vented and feel better.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

I agree. But if you insult Icom, I'll sic the Holy Office on your ass, heretic.

—Da Pope
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

The answer to your question is Yaesu 90x or Kenwood TS-820S. Maybe a Drake TR7 or TR5. Cubic Astro 103.

Long live the low-receiver-noise analog sets of the late 70s/early 80s.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

kenwood baby.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

--
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

You'll find it every hobby slash endeavor. Guy I knew started making knives. He had to have every new tool and forge until he had blades everywhere, then one day he just stopped. Knew a guy, same guy, that took up guitar. Got a new guitar every month, some swaps, new amps etc etc. Then one day he just stopped. Knew this guy, same guy, smoked cigars but had to have the strongest cigar available on the market AND HE INHALED THEM. Knew another guy (nope, still the same guy) who quite smoking, took up vaping but had to have the biggest mod available. He started buying machine shop tools and started making devices ... then one day he just stopped.

Seriously, other than not liking Yaesu's menu system very much, I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to platform. And I never used even half the capabilities of my IC-746PRO.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Forum Addict
    I'm very anti-touch screen on ham radios, but other than that, meh.

About to pull the trigger on the KX3, so, yeah...
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Forum Addict
    The first ham radio I ever used was a Scout.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry