Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commentary on Competence....

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

Find your niche and excel in it. Doctors and lawyers call this method a roadmap to riches.
    Exactly... after I left Apple in 2001 I went into Linux.

It has served me well.

Regarding the "playa"- his days are numbered. Management is not so incompetent that it's been unnoticed. His latest recommendation was to move the entire company into Microsoft's cloud through Office 365.

They aren't going down that road.

What boggles the mind is that a person would get into IT without loving it. If you do not love it- it will eventually kill your career if you want to do anything *meaningful*.

If you just want a j-o-b. Fine get your certs and sit on your ass. But in this company... that will not fly. It's global. And the implications of that are staggering.

I'm very proud of the contributions I've made to the industry. Some of them may have been used by people here... who knows- I do not keep score.

But I do lament the dumbing down. Sorry... it does not need to happen and it weakens businesses and the country as a whole.
    Last edited by KD8TUT; 03-13-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I'm very proud of the contributions I've made to the industry. Some of them may have been used by people here...
    I used to use the modem driver you wrote for the Mac.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

...But I do lament the dumbing down. Sorry... it does not need to happen and it weakens businesses and the country as a whole.
    The business tech trend these days is towards "system integrators", and the ongoing S/W development roadmap has been one of "building blocks".

Assuming you're working in x86/x64 architecture: When was the last time you wrote an 825x-series device driver which does direct disk I/O? When did you last do this for a Windows platform?

We now have this neato thing called "storage APIs". Pass certain arguments to them and we can create, update, crypt and move volumes on the fly - let alone write data to them. From that one and many other blocks will be made "application APIs". Want an eCommerce site? Drag and drop a few things together on a GUI (think of a Visio business flow diagram) and the behind-the-scenes configurator connects and configures your components.

Using my example, you've now reduced the number of people who need to write storage routines from one or two per app to a few in total across the entire platform landscape. And this is where industry as a whole is heading. You've also reduced the overhead of creating SaaS-specific solutions to a small team of people who understand and can implement business logic, but aren't necessarily programmers. The tools can help them, much as CAD/CAM helps me machine an engine block.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I think Kelli once mentioned an employer that wanted her to write something which would eliminate her job altogether.

--

You're a horrible person Mike

Now you've scared 'Murica into cooking with wood

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

<snip> But I do lament the dumbing down. Sorry... it does not need to happen and it weakens businesses and the country as a whole.
    Too late. Last election proved the hypothesis correct. We are doomed...

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    You're a horrible person Mike

Now you've scared 'Murica into cooking with wood
    At my age with diabetes... I'd be quite happy to be "cooking with wood". Sigh.
    --

:) that was funny now howould believe that, eh, let me get back on that... i have a blond spokes woman somewhere in my ledgers.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I miss working with machine tool software.

Because it was not just a job.

My current supervisor constantly reminds me that she has more degrees than I do, and I need to pay more attention to project management. Because she doesn't have to to do management then. Has stated quite clearly that it is my job to please her, and she does not care about technology. If we buy it and it does not work, that is the fault of the vendor.

Wait, what? Who keeps authorizing these purchases?

Never mind.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman