Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Railroad Thread of Mar. '17

Have you seen them track laying machine. Hoo boy!

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I live about 200yds from the CSX Great Lakes Sub. It's single-tracked now but at one time it was a double-track Class I shared with PRR/PC/Conrail (as that system evolved). Located nearby was the Erie Lackawanna Marion District double-track Class I main, and sandwiched between was at least one ABB RR shortline track...though I seem to remember two.

In the mid 70's I saw five (count 'em) trains on those tracks at the same time. Mind you, this was in the days of jointed - rather than welded - rail, and you can imagine the racket that meeting generated.
    Oh, I remember that din. I lived next to the #1 subway line in Harlem for 22 years. All jointed rail and always one that wasn't joined evenly. Add those heavy subway cars of the 1960s-70s and some square wheels* and you had the mix for a sleepless night. Where we were, there was an elevated line and it was over a swamp (and fault line) with nowhere for the force of the cars to go but sideways. Oddly enough, I always knew when there was too much snow to go to work. I'd wake up at 3AM because the subway stopped running. Go figure.

*Square wheels were caused by an emergency stop or one emergency stop too often. The sound was a loud BANG!-BANG!-BANG! that went on and on.
    Last edited by N2NH; 04-25-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Since they're empty anyway, they could make a bundle on their deadhead runs by letting people park their cars, with the occupants still inside, on the racks and let them enjoy a nice little mini vacation. It'd be a hoot to see a lot of places few ever see. Kinda like a moving drive-in movie. Maybe add walkways so when you get out of your vehicle, you can safely walk to the dining, potty, or cocktail car, and depending how many one has, safely get back to the vehicle.
    I guess they could pee out the window.

Funny how no one considers that until it's too late

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Funny how no one considers that until it's too late
    What kind of things have you thought about ... after it was too late?

For example, the 'pee out the window' thing from above. If you were parked in one of those auto transporters and suddenly found yourself having to pee, well, peeing out the window might be the only option you had. Not that 'they' are going to let that happen (you park in one of those rail cars, let alone stay in the car) in the first place.

"What kind of things have you thought about ... after it was too late?" Oh Charles, some of it would make you blush I'm certain! Others, like me signing up for this online associates degree, is a great example. Math has never been my strong suit, and in order to earn the degree one has to pass a certain level of proficiency in math. Of course, after enrolling and accumulating several thousand dollars of school debt, I've now come to realize that maybe I feel I don't have what it takes to finish this thing after all and now saddled with this debt, do I quit at this point and just eat it or get everything but the math and still lose out.

Stuff like that. Heavy on my mind as I kill myself trying to comprehend pre-algebra enough for the final in a week

I'm fucked

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Oh, I remember that din. I lived next to the #1 subway line in Harlem for 22 years. All jointed rail and always one that wasn't joined evenly. Add those heavy subway cars of the 1960s-70s and some square wheels* and you had the mix for a sleepless night. Where we were, there was an elevated line and it was over a swamp (and fault line) with nowhere for the force of the cars to go but sideways. Oddly enough, I always knew when there was too much snow to go to work. I'd wake up at 3AM because the subway stopped running. Go figure.

*Square wheels were caused by an emergency stop or one emergency stop too often. The sound was a loud BANG!-BANG!-BANG! that went on and on.
    LOL yep... :) I remember that well. Talk about noise, when I was living in East New York Brooklyn I used to feel a bit sorry for those folks that lived right next to the structure (the el) where the J and Z trains pass through the infamous S curve between Cypress Hills and Crescent Street. It a 10 mph timer enforced speed restriction along the whole distance and damned those trains SCREECH loud and long as they negotiate those curves. As a kid it was deafening when I was in my parents car or walking underneath that section of the el. People who lived in the apartments adjacent told me you never get used to that sound nor do you ever forget it.

Train horns bother me a little bit. Around here when I start hearing train horns it means that the morning rush is just getting underway and it means hat within a short time I have to get up and out. Maybe when I retire and if I live near a freight line I'll get to liking train horns again,

Actually I wouldn't mind living next to an elevated subway line. The #2 ran past behind my Grandpa's house in the So. Bronx. In some ways I miss that distinctive sound of a train roaring along on the structure.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.