Thread: Griffin iTrip Auto Universal Plus FM transmitter

Griffin iTrip Auto Universal Plus FM transmitter

I bought this device a few years ago, threw it in my gadgets drawer. Tonight I thought I would investigate this device after reading about another device on transmitter range extender hack.

Link to picture: https://regmedia.co.uk/2012/03/09/car_gadgets_11.jpg

Prying open the device shell, there are three wires connected to one side that goes to the power adapter. The purple wire is soldered to G (which I assume is ground), the green wire soldered to V (voltage), and blue wire soldered to A (Antenna). The blue wire travels all the way to the 12 volt connector. No need to do Antenna hack on this device, the antenna wire is accessible via power cord.

You can change the audio mode between LX (stereo) and DX (mono). Hold both + and - buttons down for about 5 seconds, you will see LX flashing. Release the + and - buttons. Pressing either + or - will toggle between LX and DX. Make your selection. Leave device alone, and in about 5 seconds, it will lock in your choice.

The US version is more limiting on frequency range, goes down to 88.1 MHz. The international mode will take the frequency down to 87.6 MHz. To change between US and International mode, hold the + and - buttons down for about 10 seconds. You will see US flashing. Toggle either + or - to toggle between US and INTL. Make your selection and wait. Also, US mode changes freq in 200 KHz increments, INTL will change in 100KHz increments.
    Last edited by N1LAF; 03-01-2017 at 09:52 PM.

I have never found any of these to work well, especially in an urban area.
    They just don't sound very good, even if the signal is strong.
    The only FM transmitter that worked OK is the Ramsey kit.

At least for me.

I'm a bit picky about my audio stuff, and don't like the cassette "aux" adapters either.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I have never found any of these to work well, especially in an urban area.
    They just don't sound very good, even if the signal is strong.
    The only FM transmitter that worked OK is the Ramsey kit.

At least for me.

I'm a bit picky about my audio stuff, and don't like the cassette "aux" adapters either.
    Years later I realized that I must have sent you that thing smelling like a hoard of cigarette butts! Did it pair well with the LPA-1?

Never tried the amp, didn't need it. Was able to "stream" to my FM headphone radio when I was mowing the lawn at the house in Denver. I have not fired any of it up in Evergreen.

But it sounds real good, after I fiddled with it.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Orca Whisperer
    I did a similar modification to one of these doohickeys:

Opened the case, and say the same labels V, G, and A.

Cut the lead to A, soldered a 21" wire to A, and a 21" wire to G. Made tiny holes in the case for them, and basically set it up as a vertical dipole in the attic, connected to an MP3 player.

Covered the entire neighborhood.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com