Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nasty Flu ??

They tell me that every time

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Forum Addict
    They tell me that I need one or my ass is fired.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I'm going through something like that right now. Took a few things to get through the hamfest yesterday (HAD to be there, I run the VE team) and I was pretty much useless once I got home.

The Boss tells me I don't have the flu. I just have bronchitis. Right.

Now: Watch me pull this rabbit out of my hat. ("Again?")
    If it came on suddenly and was accompanied by a fever for a few days then it was most likely influenza which can produce bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.

On the rare occasions that I do get the flu (like this time) it is almost always in late February or early March, as the weather starts getting milder. Flu never hits me in mid winter when the temperatures are at their lowest. I would say that I get the flu about once every 5-10 years and that is without a flu shot.

The real PITA is the leftover cough that won't stop nagging me. The residual coughing always lasts me for at least 3 weeks and is more annoying to me than the flu itself. One time I had the flu the cough was so intense and lasted so long I must have ruptured a blood vessel and I was spitting up phlegm and blood and I was scared that I might have Tuberculosis. I got tested for TB and it turned up negative.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    They tell me that I need one or my ass is fired.
    it wasn't ever hard required of me by a job, even at the VA ...

otoh, my current place has an unlimited PTO policy, so why the fuck don't these sick assholes take their laptop home and work from there until they're not germ-infested? they don't even have to work (i didn't--i mostly hid under the covers).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post

otoh, my current place has an unlimited PTO policy, so why the fuck don't these sick assholes take their laptop home and work from there until they're not germ-infested? they don't even have to work (i didn't--i mostly hid under the covers).
    When I was working for the government, I thought the same thing. People with 6 weeks of sick time accrued, and they come in sick and because of these bastids, every one else gets sick.

I finally came to the conclusion that they thought the place couldn't run without them, that they were too important. WRONG In reality, any one of a number of people could do their job without breaking a sweat In fact, even if nobody did their job for a few days, the place would be fine; in some cases, it would run much better.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    When I was working for the government, I thought the same thing. People with 6 weeks of sick time accrued, and they come in sick and because of these bastids, every one else gets sick.

I finally came to the conclusion that they thought the place couldn't run without them, that they were too important. WRONG In reality, any one of a number of people could do their job without breaking a sweat In fact, even if nobody did their job for a few days, the place would be fine; in some cases, it would run much better.
    Well, that's why I called off on Monday, and you should have seen the pile of report requests and related crapola waiting for me yesterday morning.

I had three different people today unhappy that I hadn't gotten to their (not exactly easy) reports yet.

They don't know when they're well off. The Boss is still mad at me for not staying home the last two days.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

On average you are contagious with influenza for around a week to 10 days. Now here's the tricky part. When you are infected with the influenza virus you generally don;t feel or notice and symptoms for the first few days. But... you are already contagious and fully capable of spreading it. So for the first few days you may very well be spreading the infection yet you don't even know that you have it and that you are already quite contagious. Once the symptoms show, i.e. fever, aches,pains, chills, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, etc.you are contagious for around 7days. So it's kinda tricky. In my case I am still coughing but I am probably no longer contagious.

In most cases the flu is probably spread via persons who are infected, contagious, but are not yet displaying or feeling any symptoms yet.
    Last edited by n2ize; 03-01-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I've been fighting it since shortly after my return from Italy. Just can't seem to shake it. Got news Sunday morning that my friend JD had not been feeling well and had gone to the hospital. Ended up in the ICU hooked up to a ventilator. It went downhill from there, he suffered a series of strokes and passed away. He was 57 and in reasonable shape.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    On average you are contagious with influenza for around a week to 10 days. Now here's the tricky part. When you are infected with the influenza virus you generally don;t feel or notice and symptoms for the first few days. But... you are already contagious and fully capable of spreading it. So for the first few days you may very well be spreading the infection yet you don't even know that you have it and that you are already quite contagious. Once the symptoms show, i.e. fever, aches,pains, chills, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, etc.you are contagious for around 7days. So it's kinda tricky. In my case I am still coughing but I am probably no longer contagious.

In most cases the flu is probably spread via persons who are infected, contagious, but are not yet displaying or feeling any symptoms yet.
    If that is the case then clearly we should be looking to early flu detection that is as easy to have around as a bathroom mirror.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post

Were you in a provider role at the VA? We're flagged as a clinic, so even though I'm not pt-facing (yet), it's the policy from Big Duke.

Could never work for a major hospital system...the red tape is staggering.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry