Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Try and tell me this ain't cool

Just like the old space movies from the 50's and 60's where they land on Mars on the rockets legs.

Way way cool!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

OK. Cool rockets. Imagine all the ciphering for Science that goes into that. Based on the Ratta's video, the weakest part of the whole system is FUEL. Imagine if humans started building satellites at space stations in orbit. We're going to need good manufacturing plus R&D facilities in orbit if we're ever going to test anything that doesn't burn a fossil fuel that also propels ships.

We'll have to manipulate something we cannot see and that can only be detected when manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    So, why is landing at sea so important if they can do it on land? Way cool either way.
    The sea landing was an earlier one, before they felt comfortable enough with the tech to try it on land for exactly the reasons Corey mentioned. The one I posted was from yesterday (Sunday, Feb 19 2017).
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Just like the old space movies from the 50's and 60's where they land on Mars on the rockets legs.

Way way cool!
    Exactly! Totally sci-fi.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Landing at sea avoids possible mishaps with slight trajectory errors.

If you mess up the re-entry trajectory on a sea landing, you lose the craft. Do it on land, and you risk hitting people.
    That makes sense, but it seems like targeting isn't as much of a problem as the thing falling over once it hits the target. (i.e. the Salt Flats should be safe enough?)

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    OK. Cool rockets. Imagine all the ciphering for Science that goes into that. Based on the Ratta's video, the weakest part of the whole system is FUEL. Imagine if humans started building satellites at space stations in orbit. We're going to need good manufacturing plus R&D facilities in orbit if we're ever going to test anything that doesn't burn a fossil fuel that also propels ships.

We'll have to manipulate something we cannot see and that can only be detected when manipulated.
    Just a point: We don't use fossil fuel in space vehicles. LOX and H2. Or, hypergolics.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Orca Whisperer
    That makes sense, but it seems like targeting isn't as much of a problem as the thing falling over once it hits the target. (i.e. the Salt Flats should be safe enough?)
    I believe that will be the eventual plan, once they iron out the kinks in doing it.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Just a point: We don't use fossil fuel in space vehicles. LOX and H2. Or, hypergolics.
    I was out that day in rocket science class. That whole semester. The whole year. They was burning shit! Didn't you see that fire spitter on TV?

Too much traffic with cars going faster that a rocket.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Upon further reflection: I realize now that the diagrams presented to us in the 5th grade consisted of hydrogen peroxide and oxygen canisters and some other thing.
    Sorry, Corey. Shit moment on my part.