Thread: Bird Fishing

Bird Fishing

I was fishing on the dock next to where my boat is tied up and almost caught this guy:

Chased my lure right in to the dock, under water!
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Many years ago, I was fishing off Crystal Pier in San Diego. At least I think that was where I was. I hadn't ever fished off a structure like this, and asked some of the older guys if they had any tips. They gave me a few, and on the first cast, I caught Halibut. It was too small so I tossed him back. I then tried a long cast. It had a beautiful arc to it and went way the hell out. Unfortunately, as the bait fish was dropping towards the water, a big pelican swooped in and got it. Needless to say, it was a hard fight. I gain a little, and then the reel would spin out even with the brakes on. A short time later (I had now drawn a pretty good sized crowed, and there was a lot of snickering and down right laughter from them) I decided I would have to cut the line. I really hated to do it because I knew he was going to get stuck somewhere. I finally cut the line, and the bird flew off with about 40 yards of line behind him. It reminded me of some of the WWII planes that used to have trailing long wire antennas. Anyway, I quickly packed up my stuff, and slithered off like nothing had happened. I headed toward the hotel we were staying at, and even from a block away, I could still hear those bastids laughing at me. I haven't fished San Diego since, but I would sure like to give it another try. Of course, I plan to keep the bait just off the top of the waves so hopefully I won't have a repeat of that experience.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 02-11-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Turtles. Turtles are the issue here. On the coast, crabs are sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Turtles. Turtles are the issue here. On the coast, crabs are sneaky.
    Speaking of turtles we still have some pretty large snappers in the Bronx river which is in walking distance of my home. Polluted as it may be it doesn't seem to bother them.The larger ones occasionally attack ducks, geese and other water fowl.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I was fishing on the dock next to where my boat is tied up and almost caught this guy:

Chased my lure right in to the dock, under water!
    Have you caught very many fish in the marina?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Speaking of turtles we still have some pretty large snappers in the Bronx river which is in walking distance of my home. Polluted as it may be it doesn't seem to bother them.The larger ones occasionally attack ducks, geese and other water fowl.
    I've helped a few snappers across the road just 150 yards from the QTH. Over.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Have you caught very many fish in the marina?
    Not a lot, no, and mostly little spotted bay bass which are fun to catch but too small to bother with. I just do catch and release.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    we got some big snaps here as well.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!