Thread: Why do they make things so complicated

Why do they make things so complicated

OK, here's my gripe. This machine has the dreaded windoze 10 and after one of the countless update/restart cycles recently, I notice a black screen relating something about somebody's watchdog peeing on my porch that I never saw before. So, like a good soldier I did a little research to see just WTF this was all about. I found something in an AVG support community page detailing how all these people are having some sort of issue with the anti-virus software giving them fits. Yes, I have the free AVG running and while I'm lucky without any apparent problems (yet), I'm wondering what, if anything, I should be considering doing about this. Most of you folks are a whole lot smarter than me about computers (and most everything else I bet) so I'm picking the brain trust of the island for feedback. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Dump the AVG before it strands me? Quit worrying about other peoples problems? This is the page I bookmarked about this issue - https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000bolpAAA

Most of the response chains are a few months old by now and the responses from India are less than reassuring. So, what do you guru's think? Or are you Swammi's? All I can say is WTF!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Not a fan of AVG. I use G-Data on the main PC.
    Paid for it, PITA to upgrade once a year.
    But, it works and is causes very little latency.

Use Microsoft Defender on the laptop.

My wife uses AVG, but she falls for phishing now and again.
    So I have to scan and clean up her stuff. Mostly Ad-Ware.

Malwarebytes (free) scan if anything suspicious happens.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    OK, here's my gripe. This machine has the dreaded windoze 10 and after one of the countless update/restart cycles recently, I notice a black screen relating something about somebody's watchdog peeing on my porch that I never saw before. So, like a good soldier I did a little research to see just WTF this was all about. I found something in an AVG support community page detailing how all these people are having some sort of issue with the anti-virus software giving them fits. Yes, I have the free AVG running and while I'm lucky without any apparent problems (yet), I'm wondering what, if anything, I should be considering doing about this. Most of you folks are a whole lot smarter than me about computers (and most everything else I bet) so I'm picking the brain trust of the island for feedback. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Dump the AVG before it strands me? Quit worrying about other peoples problems? This is the page I bookmarked about this issue - https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000bolpAAA

Most of the response chains are a few months old by now and the responses from India are less than reassuring. So, what do you guru's think? Or are you Swammi's? All I can say is WTF!
    I was unable to read the post from India. The accent was too thick.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Thanks Dave. I will look into your suggestions and implement pronto!

Like that post was...

So, I did what you suggested Dave about including Malwarebytes to the system and it seems to be on the ball well enough. Leaving AVG in place for now, Defender is in the wings if needed I suppose. Sucks being a poor broke bitch.

However, I've noticed this new (Jing screenshot attached) 5 dot artifact on the screen lately, was wondering if any of you have seen such a weird thing or know what it represents. Restarts and complete shutdowns do nothing to alleviate. Maybe it's the Samsung 32" TV? I dunno, just curious if this has ever come up before. It remains positionally constant on the screen, dark on light or dark backgrounds. And, it won't show up on a Jing capture. WTF?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like that post was...

See that post above? The one with the faux tech question? Yeah, that one. Well, it turns out the yl found the fix. You won't believe it but it turns out those artifacts on my screen - wait for it - were five pieces of glitter. Fucking glitter!

So, problem solved and I am proved a dumbshit. I may post this on the jocularity thread since I have no more dignity to lose. :hittingself:

I knew there were other reasons why I hate her glitter.....

Like that post was...

Did I tell you about this youth and a dipstick? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: