Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Students from the T.U. Delft win hyperloop challenge

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    We don't do alcoholic gun toting yahoos here ;)
    Traveling over rails at 500+ Km'H was oce considered impossible as well, as were cars doing over 30 KM/H, technology changes and with that the possibilities.
    Problems are there to be solved practically, or we would never have walked on the moon....;).
    It doesn't matter if you don't have yahoo's with guns there, the problems with the vacuum being breached can come from dozens of other sources including thermal expansion,etc. At this point the best solution to the stresses due to thermal expansion might be to build the hyperloop underground where the temperature remains more or less constant and is far less subject to rapid expansion due to rapid heating and cooling.But then there is still a host of other problems with no easy solution which will have to be overcome. Don't get me wrong, the hyperloop is a great idea and may someday come to fruition but as it stands there are some major obstacles with no easy solutions that will have to be overcome. Basically we need to create an outer space like environment contained within a 500 mile tube and propel a turbine powered capsule through it close to the speed of sound and at the same time do it inexpensively and assure near absolute safety. The obstacles that had to be overcome to produce high speed rail service are nowhere near the obstacles that have to be overcome to produce safe, reliable, speed of sound hyperloop service. Will it ever become a reality ? Yeah, I think that eventually it might. I certainly wouldn't give up on the idea. But it's going to taken quite a bit of time, thought and work and perhaps even advanced future technologies. In the meantime and until the hyperloop is feasible I think it would be much more practical and far less expensive to build out a high speed rail service. And for the United States a modern high speed rail service would be a giant step forward.Most of our present rail service is basically the same technology that was around in the 19th century. We presently don't have anything here that matches the modern high speed rail you have in Europe.
    Last edited by n2ize; 03-01-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    It doesn't matter if you don't have yahoo's with guns there, the problems with the vacuum being breached can come from dozens of other sources including thermal expansion,etc. At this point the best solution to the stresses due to thermal expansion might be to build the hyperloop underground where the temperature remains more or less constant and is far less subject to rapid expansion due to rapid heating and cooling.But then there is still a host of other problems with no easy solution which will have to be overcome. Don't get me wrong, the hyperloop is a great idea and may someday come to fruition but as it stands there are some major obstacles with no easy solutions that will have to be overcome. Basically we need to create an outer space like environment contained within a 500 mile tube and propel a turbine powered capsule through it close to the speed of sound and at the same time do it inexpensively and assure near absolute safety. The obstacles that had to be overcome to produce high speed rail service are nowhere near the obstacles that have to be overcome to produce safe, reliable, speed of sound hyperloop service. Will it ever become a reality ? Yeah, I think that eventually it might. I certainly wouldn't give up on the idea. But it's going to taken quite a bit of time, thought and work and perhaps even advanced future technologies. In the meantime and until the hyperloop is feasible I think it would be much more practical and far less expensive to build out a high speed rail service. And for the United States a modern high speed rail service would be a giant step forward.Most of our present rail service is basically the same technology that was around in the 19th century. We presently don't have anything here that matches the modern high speed rail you have in Europe.
    You have to learn how to control a gravity field while in constant motion. Once we master this we will be able to start experimenting with a working warp drive for interstellar travel. Keep in mind, a galaxy class starship must be built on a space station.