Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Benchmark

Now 7.6% is more like it. I chose the highest figure that's the closest to the truth gubmint propaganda will allow. Take off the rose colored glasses stained with Old 45 and I'll bet the actual figures run higher.

Name:  LA homeless.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  88.3 KB

I chose this particular and by comparison sparsely populated street to illustrate this nation's unemployment because of the famous landmark looming in the not so distant background. In case you never saw an episode of Dragnet or a movie featuring it (often portrayed by the look alike Union County, NJ Courthouse) it's the Los Angeles City Hall building. Thankfully the po po don't hassle them like they do elsewhere and the climate is livable.

Re that 7 May post, I'm in the middle of the 10 August released movie Automation that's so awful in every way Roger Ebert wouldn't even consider watching let alone reviewing. OK, I like really bad movies like the cult classic Plan 9 From Outer Space I file under "stinkers" to be watched again when I need a laugh. The future of employment in this country is so bad even robots get replaced with newer models and the old ones go on killing sprees. Remember how the phrase "going postal" started? Yeah, that. If you want to really understand what was revealed at the 1964 NY World Fair and driven hoime by The Twilight Zone S5E33 air date 15 May 1964 you can scream... stream Automation, it's not worth seeing more than once unless like me you're a video masochist. If you'd really rather not watch it at all I'm sure you can dig up that Twilight Zone episode, one of several featuring my pal Robby the robot I first saw in my favorite sci-fi movie of all time, Forbidden Planet (1956).

These are the players, with or without a scorecard: in one corner, a machine; in the other, one Wallace V. Whipple, man. And the game? It happens to be the historical battle between flesh and steel, between the brain of man and the product of man's brain. We don't make book on this one, and predict no winner, but we can tell you that for this particular contest there is standing room only - in The Twilight Zone.
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 12-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    "New Jersey, the most American of all states. It has everything from wilderness to the Mafia. All the great things and all the worst, like Route 22."
    Jean Shepherd K2ORS (SK) & WOR radio personality

The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Master Navigator
    In LA, like in Silicon Valley, many of those people are homeless because their jobs don't pay enough to afford an astronomically expensive place to live. Even here in Bugtussle, we have this issue. And even though it is often 20 to 30 below zero, we have over 500 homeless here, by the latest count. Minimum wage won't earn enough to rent an apartment.

I don't think unemployment is the issue at all. It's erosion of pay and benefits, with low paying service jobs having replaced good paying jobs since the 1970's. 44% of us are now in that 'low paying' category, earning around $18,000 a year. Now I know why they want to take away my Social Security - I get more from SS than that!

No, the economy is not good. For at least 44% of us, it totally sucks. Sadly, most of those people believe in fairy tales so they vote for people who screw them again and again. As long as corporations can buy politicians, we are headed for real pain.

Gas $2.44 (Western NY)
    Dow 21,200.62
    NASDAQ 7201.8
    S&P 500 2480.64
    Unemployment 3.8%
    Stay healthy my friends.

I kept hearing the wealthy are killing us, but with my nose to the grind stone and shoulder to the wheel I had no time to give it much thought or observe the changes going on all around me. Now that I have the time I see the war on the middle class began around 1970 when my company paid benefits and retirement began evaporating. Then I started moving around from job to job trying to keep up with the cost of living, puny pay raises just didn't cut it.

That was today's parents and grandparents, now take a look at kids coming up today in our pitiful education system. Wait and see, mark my words, only those born with silver spoons in their mouths will find jobs, the gap will be filled by immigrants having good educations and qualifications brought with them. Look around, it is happening now. That proverbial sheepskin shall become the golden fleece, this nation having been (sic) fleeced.
    "New Jersey, the most American of all states. It has everything from wilderness to the Mafia. All the great things and all the worst, like Route 22."

Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    I kept hearing the wealthy are killing us, but with my nose to the grind stone and shoulder to the wheel I had no time to give it much thought or observe the changes going on all around me. Now that I have the time I see the war on the middle class began around 1970 when my company paid benefits and retirement began evaporating. Then I started moving around from job to job trying to keep up with the cost of living, puny pay raises just didn't cut it.

That was today's parents and grandparents, now take a look at kids coming up today in our pitiful education system. Wait and see, mark my words, only those born with silver spoons in their mouths will find jobs, the gap will be filled by immigrants having good educations and qualifications brought with them. Look around, it is happening now. That proverbial sheepskin shall become the golden fleece, this nation having been (sic) fleeced.
    Ah, you've had an epiphany! If only the majority of us did, and it shouldn't be that hard with 44% of us in low paying jobs. I keep coming back to that eye-popping statistic. I think much of the problem is that those in that 44% don't see the problem.

Indeed, it did start in the 1970's. The book Who Stole the American Dream? is an eye opening chronicle of how we got here. Former Justice Lewis Powell wrote a document known as the Powell Memorandum that urged Wall Street to compel corporate executives to focus exclusively on stock prices and executive pay, ignoring the needs of other stakeholders in the corporations. As you say, pay and benefits started to erode immediately. Unbridled buyouts and mergers reduced the need for good paying jobs in corporations. Offshoring became a major theme, as corporations sought short term profits. Every major layoff would create a spike in a stock's price. This Wiki article about the book is a decent summary - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Stole_the_American_Dream%3F

Where are we today? After many threats and much arm-twisting, the Federal Reserve has abandoned traditional fiscal policy, going back to the Great Recession. Banks now have the funds to offer loans at very low interest, while paying virtually nothing to their depositors. The traditional avenue of earning wealth through savings has been closed for more than a decade. Now, you must earn money through the gamble known as Wall Street.

Today, the Dow Jones slipped down to very close to it's value when Trump took office - so the soaring gains of the last three years, driven by a huge tax cut that corporations used to pump up their stock prices and supine compliance by the Fed, have been almost entirely wiped out, leaving stock holders in the hole. If we have leveraged stockholders, this could get a lot worse.

Why do we elect Republicans? This should be a familiar pattern by now. They find new ways to pump those stock prices, then something causes a recession. The experts have expected one for the last couple years, and now, this virus has become the impetus for it.

Like you, I am very worried about today's kids. My own thirtyish offspring are doing fairly well by modern standards, but compared to me at the same age, they are hurting. I don't know how they will ever retire unless we 'supersize' Social Security.

My epiphany came years ago, only now I have a forum for it.

"I don't know how they will ever retire unless we 'supersize' Social Security."

Well, that'll be the day when SS says goodbye
    Yes, that'll be the day when retirement makes me cry
    You say it won't leave, you know it's a lie
    'Cause that'll be the day when we die

To put it another way they're zombies, and many of us are too, the walking dead. There was that revolutionary attitude of the '60s, but come the '70s we had to cut our hair and get jobs. We were too busy to notice the world crumbling around us, now it's a pile of rubble and the visionaries all dead.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Master Navigator
    If it weren't for totally unjustifiable optimism, I think I'd have turned to a life of crime. I always joke that I have a degree in Finance with a minor in Embezzlement. I could have been Bernie Madoff. It's just too easy in this country.

It will be interesting to see what the long term implications of the COVID virus are. We might see some major shifts in thinking, some of which could be very good for us. Right now, we have the total crooks in charge, so short term changes are likely to be bad for us. But COVID is exposing the house of cards we call healthcare - the more expensive and most fragile system on Earth. Trump wants to give more money to the oil companies - a pure ripoff of the taxpayer.